John,

I can't speak for the technical aspect of the roller tipped rockers over
factory but I did replace my stock units with a set of Comp Cams Magnum
roller tipped units mainly because my rockers were getting worn and I was
installing a new cam anyway and they looked sexy.

>From a practical standpoint, they may very well ease valve guide wear
although I'm not sure just what is considered 'premature wear'?  Did you
replace all the valves as well and were the stems deformed?  How many miles
did your head have before you had them rebuilt and did they need valve guide
replacement versus how many miles you plan on running them now?  Point is,
if you got 40K-50K miles on the original set of guides you should be able to
get that from replacements.  If you plan on driving it for like miles, the
roller tipped rockers may be a good investment.

Dale McIntosh
67 El Camino
1967 Chevelle Reference CD!
http://www.chevellecd.com