Bill,

I can't believe I forgot that one. I stood on my head for a long time before I figured that one out. Luckily I was so afraid of tearing up my dash that I didn't employ my usual "Bull in a China Cabinet" technique.

Ron Griffith

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Vander Werf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Dash removal

Don't forget the bolt most people forget about. The one directly above the steering column. Unbolt the column and it will drop down out of your way. If you don't remove the bolt above the column you will get a crack immediately above the steering column when you try to pull up on the dash.......don't ask me how I know.

Bill Vander Werf

Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 6:49 PM

Karl,

I went through the photos I took of my resto ( over 150 pictures) and found nothing I thought would be helpful to you. I have pictures of the dash after it was removed but nothing that would demonstrate the procedure.

What you are wanting to do is surprisingly simple, though. Begin by removing the phillips head screws from the underside of the upper dash pad. These are underneath the edge of the pad very close to the edge towards you as you are sitting in the drivers seat (don't forget to remove the two that are behind the glovebox door). Pull the pad towards you to disengage the clips that hold down the front and remove the pad. The rest of the dash is mounted to a metal frame which is bolted to brackets on the inner firewall. There are several along the top that are exposed when the dashpad is removed (4 I think) and two which are at the outer edges of the bottom of the dash facing downward. Once these are removed you can remove the entire dash as one piece being careful to unplug any wiring harnesses and vacuum hoses as you go. I used masking tape and labeled everything with numbers to make sure everything went back together correctly.

When you are removing and handling the dash be careful to support it well from end to end. Much of it's rigidity is lost when it is unfastened from the firewall and you could crack or break it if you're not careful.

It would be a good idea to invest in a Factory Assembly Instruction Manual. It covers every facet of the construction of your Chevelle or El Camino. I couldn't have completed my frame off restoration without it. They are available from several sources and cost around $35.00 if I remember correctly. Paid for itself many times over.

http://elcaminocentral.com/gallery-album_rgriffs-71-SS-Clone.html

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Groves" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 8:52 AM
Subject: [Chevelle-list] Dash removal

Does anyone have any pictures (i.e. exploded views) of how to remove a dash? I'd like to just pull out the dash & everything attached to it all as one
piece.

Karl Groves
Master Certified CIW
http://www.karlgroves.com