That's pretty funny stuff Dale.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Nascar Chevelle?

I read it was the 68 he drove home without the fuel cell. According to Hot
Rod Magazine, "Smokey's ongoing troubles with NASCAR over his getting
competitive reached its zenith in 1968. Yunick blamed both Ford and Chrysler
for putting so much pressure on France that he had his tech inspectors
overscrutinize his super- slippery Chevelles. Legend has it that when
Smokey's '68 Chevelle picked up its sixteenth violation, he got in the car
and drove it back to his garage in Daytona with the fuel tank still sitting in the inspection area. His parting shot was, "make it 17." Two years later,
Smokey said adios to NASCAR and was out of stock car racing."

Dale