Not to sound like a chemist, which I am not...but most cheap lacquer thinners are cheap because of the raw materials use to blend them together.  Prep type thinners stay away from the oily type thinners (mineral spirits, VM&P Naptha ect.) and also stay away from the real strong thinners that are sometimes present in the lacquer thinners (Ketone family ie. MEK, MIBK, MAK) which sometimes are to strong and lifts the paint that you are just trying to clean the wax, grease and oil from a surface.  My $.02