  From: Thomas Ringlein
  To: chevelle-list@chevelles.net
  Cc: 'Thomas Ringlein'
  Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2006 1:28 AM
  Subject: [Chevelle-list] HELP - Question about body panels

  Folks - I am asking for some expertise on this issue - sorry it is long, but
it is a good read.

  I noticed that in Ground-Up Restorations, there are 2 different quality
levels of new repop fenders for the 1971-1972 Chevelles.  One, part # RF-71L,
is listed at $260, and is not listed as a "GM Restoration Part."  Another, part
# RF-71GML, is listed at $319, and is supposedly "newly retooled, and offer a
more definitive fit, with sharper edges."  It is listed as the "GM Restoration
Part" for our cars.

  Now OPG has similar fenders - but only one part # for a left front fender -
PZ00611, listed at $269 (and on sale right now for $220).  I also took the time
to notice that their full quarters for the same car using "original GM
tooling," and listed as the "finest quality" available, and the only ones
licensed by GM - for the low-low price of only $400.  That is about $200 less
then everyone else.  As a skeptic, I placed a call and talked to Jason on the
other line.  This is what he said.

  Question:  Your competitors have two repop fenders available, one that is
"standard quality," and one that is "newly retooled" and the only "GM
Restoration Part," with better body lines.  Which are your $260 fenders - the
good ones, or the bad ones.  Who manufactures your fenders?

  Answer:  They are both the same fenders.  There is only one manufacturer in
the world, and that is Dynacorn.  The panels are licensed by GM for restoration
purposes, stamped overseas, and distributed by Goodmark and Cars Inc., among
others.  The tooling is wildly expensive, and there is only one set of tooling
for these fenders in the world.  If someone else is advertising two qualities
of fenders, they are selling the same fender piece for two prices.  Beware of
these guys.

  Question:  Okay, assuming that is true, you are stating that your fenders are
the "GM licensed" fenders, the best available, made with the best tooling in
the industry, and manufactured by Dynacorn and shipped directly to your
warehouse in Huntington Beach, Ca?

  Answer:  Yes - that is why we have the best price around for that fender and
are able to offer it to you for great savings.

  Question:  I also noticed a similar situation with your "full quarters" for
the same car.  You are supposedly selling the best available GM Restoration
quarters for $200 less then the competition.  What gives?

  Answer:  Same issue.  Only one set of tooling, and Dynacorn has it.  These
are the only GM Restoration quarters (the same being offered by Goodmark), and
we offer a substantial savings because they are shipped directly to San Diego
and we truck them up to LA.  That savings goes straight to you.  Oh - and they
are on sale too right now.  Get your order in quick.

  Now - Are they feeding me a line?  Do they really have the best stuff for
substantial savings over the competition - or do they think I am a sucker?  Why
does Ground-Up have two quality fenders for sale if there really is "only one
available worldwide?"  Who knows the real story on this?

  For the record - I would prefer a factory fender, but cannot find one that
would not cost over $500 after it is fixed and on the car.  OPG also has great
prices on the hoods, and all other body parts.  Are they the same parts others
are selling for 25-30% higher?

  TJ Ringlein

  Clovis, CA

  1972 Chevelle in Shambles (heading to body shop in 30 days)