  From: Thomas Ringlein
  Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 8:00 PM
  Subject: [Chevelle-list] Chevelle Production Question

  I have looked in vain for some time for an answer to this question - and have
found nothing.  Maybe someone here can help.

  I have a 1972 Chevelle Malibu that came stock with a 307 2 BBL, and TH350
transmission.  The VIN starts out with 1D37F2B which translates to.
  1 - Chevrolet
  D - Malibu
  37 - 2-door sport coupe
  F - 307 engine (I can think of something else that begins with "F" that
describes that engine.)
  B - Baltimore production plant

  Okay - The car came with California emissions, as evidenced by the smog crap
that was still on it when we bought it in 1981, and the sticker on the radiator
cover explaining that it was a California emissions engine.  So, was this car
built in Baltimore and originally sold in California?  I always considered it a
lifetime California car - and its rust-free body certainly looks as if it is.
However, I thought that Van Nuys would certainly build enough cars for the
California market - and from a business perspective, why would they ship ANY
California cars out from Baltimore?

  Anyone know if any California cars were shipped out West from Baltimore?  My
car has given me a few surprises, so this would certainly be one of them.

  T.J. Ringlein
  Clovis California - US Air Force
  72 Chevelle - now naked
  2000 Harley Sportster 883