Use the timed port.  My Edelbrock 1406 has two ports; on the left (facing
engine) is the timed port and the right is manifold vacuum.  Instructions
say the timed port is for '.emissions controlled engines' and vacuum port is
for '.non-emissions controlled engines' making one think the manifold vacuum
would be correct for (in my case) my 67 327 since it's a non-emissions
controlled engine.  Not so, with manifold vacuum you get full vacuum advance
at idle and with timed port there's no vacuum until you get in the 1200-1500
RPM range. Instructions go on to say, "If your distributor has timed vacuum
advance, you will hook the vacuum hose from the distributor to the passenger
side vacuum port on the new carburetor. If it has full vacuum advance, it
will be hook up to the driver side port."   Except for maybe street use with
a very large cam, everyone I've talked to says to use the timed port.so I
do.

Dale McIntosh

 <http://www.chevellecd.com> 1966/67 Chevelle Reference CDs

ChevelleStuff.com <http://www.chevellestuff.com>