I don't want to sound too elitist, but my official opinion on the best web
site production tool is a knowledgeable and experienced web designer. There
are countless reasons for this opinion which would probably come off more
like a sales pitch, so I'll bite my tongue on that side of things and just
talk about the tools themselves.

HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language.  The act of "marking up" a
document goes back to the 13th century and the letterpress. Publishers would
"mark up" a document so the letterpress operator would know how to lay out
the document.   HTML is just the electronic version of the same activity.

In HTML, every "tag" has a special purpose. For instance, the paragraph tag
delineates what is a paragraph.  The text within <p> and </p> is the
paragraph.

Tools such as Dreamweaver or Frontpage or whatever tries to make an educated
guess about what the user is trying to do.   So, let's say you want to
create a heading at the top of the page.  Using Dreamweaver, you can just
manually make the text large and bold.  In reality, you should be using <h1>
for that, rather than playing games with the font.  To the layperson, as
long as the text is big and bold, that's all that matters.  There's a lot
more to it than that, though.

So, back to the tools, all of these tools make a guess about what you're
really after, and they really need to perform a balancing act between doing
what you say and doing what you mean. For most, like Frontpage, NetObjects
Fusion, etc. they really spew out a lot of terrible code that can cause a
lot of problems with cross-platform compatibility and maintenance of the
site. When it comes to Dreamweaver, it'll still let you hang yourself, but
it doesn't litter the code any more than you ask it to.

My best advice, regardless of what tool you buy, is that you spend some time
learning more about HTML. With proper knowledge of HTML, you'll be able to
make the tool work for you, rather than you working for it.

One more thing: If this is a website for a business, you really need to have
a professional do it.   Stanford University's Web Credibility Project
(http://credibility.stanford.edu/) has been performing a long term study
into credibility on the web. They've found that the quality of the site has
a direct relationship to how much credibility a visitor ascribes to a site.

To illustrate this point, go to these two sites:
http://www.istal.com/smoke/
http://www.webaccessstrategies.com

Both organizations perform the same types of services.  Which one are you
likely to regard as more professional and more likely to produce quality
work?

Just some food for thought.

Karl Groves
Skype: eight.pistons