Jim,

Not a welder myself but am very involved with it at the plant. Aluminum needs
to be clean, very clean. Typically we etch the aluminum in tanks of
hydrofluoric acid but for large work or repairs where that isn't practical we
buy the acid in a bottle and brush it on. It should be available at any welding
supply house. It removes all of the oxidation from the pores of the metal. If
you use it, be very careful. If it was to get under your finger nails it can
actually attack the bone and is quite painful to treat. Read the caution label
carefully.
I agree with earlier posts that TIG is better and will do a neater job. Also
agree that you need a shielding gas although I think there may be some coated
wires available for small jobs.Godspeed, Dan Solomon"It is a mistake to allow
any mechanical object to realize you are in a
hurry."http://www.freewebs.com/chevelles1970/