does it look like oil?? then again from sitting and a fresh we.p you've got
some crap moving round  the flush idea and refill is a great place to
start--did you change thermostat-with flush would be a smart thing to do.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: chevelle-list@chevelles.net
  Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 1:52 PM
  Subject: [Chevelle-list] Black Radiator Water?

  Hey All,

  A few months back I bought this 62 Cadillac. It had been sitting, not running
for roughly 7 years. Just about two weeks ago I got it driving. I rebuilt the
carb and water pump on it, and did a general tune it. It runs like new, and
I've driven it about 100 miles or so this past week. Well this weekend I was
checking the fluids on it...I pulled the radiator cap, and the water was black.
I stuck my finger in there, and it looked like I stuck my finger in black
grease. The water was barely down. It doesn't run hot, on the gauge, from C to
H, its only about a quarter of the way up. When I rebuild the water pump and
all that, it wasn't black water.

  What could cause that? The oil is nice and clean, no water in it. The engine
doesn't smoke. Could it be the old radiator hoses or something? The heater
isn't hooked up either.

  Any ideas? I figure I'll flush it out, drive it some, then see if it happens
again.

  Thanks,

  -Tim

  Stay informed, get connected and more with AOL on your phone.