OK - let's try this again....(second time to post my questions...)

I've recently gotten around to working on my '67 Chevelle after ignoring for
it several years (I know... bad bad bad)

I did a LOT of pre-start work on the motor to ensure I didn't cause any
damage - which seemed to pay off as it started right up the first time.
(changed oil, drained all the fuel, pre-lubed extensively etc etc)

The motor (built 350) is running pretty good except for two issues that I'd
like help with;

1. I 'think' the vacuum advance isn't working - when I put the timing light
on the engine, the timing doesn't change at all with or without the vacuum
advance connected... shouldn't it change? Would this cause 'popping' through
the exhaust at higher RPMs? (~4000rpm) - i.e. no advance for higher rpms?

and

2. At sustained higher rpm (say 3000rpm+) - there is coolant dripping from
the bellhousing - I'm assuming this means I've got a bad freeze plug on the
back of the motor - anyone else ever had this? It doesn't drip unless the
motor is running up - i.e. no drips at idle. I've verified there are no
leaks anywhere else on the motor.

Thanks everyone - I hope to have the rust-bucket running and driving good
enough for next year's Chevelle-a-bration.

How about some responses?

Mark