  From: Johann Grobler
  Cc: coombe
  Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2008 10:49 AM
  Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Free Chevrolet Restoration Pack

  Hullo Rick, Dennis and Dale,

  After the American Chevies (Impala, Chevelle Chevy II and Corvair, South
Africa switched to the Holden vehicles "Australia" +- 1968 later named
Chevrolet; Kommando, Constancia, de Ville and Caprice de Ville and then to
the re-badged Opel Rekord "Ranger"with the 4cyl 192ci Chevy 2 engine. Brazil
had the Opala as their re-badged Opel.  The later Opel models became
Chevrolet 2.5, 3.8 and 4.1 models (American engines) and later as Chev
Rekord, Commodore and Senator with German engines. With Chevrolet back in
South African they are now selling Australian Holden as Chevrolet (Chevy
Spark and Lumina) and also have  original Opel and Suzuki models on sale.

  The mechanical parts are freely available but the trim parts must be
imported from the USA.  All the exterior and interior trim on this Malibu is
still original 43 years old!
  The carpet, rooflining and seats have been re-covered.  I am looking for
full hubcaps to replace the original rims.  I cannot import them as the cost
$400, is equivilant to R3200 (SA) and does not include import duties and
freight, more than triple the cost of a full set of tires or a set of mag
rims. Those mags on the Malibu set me back $240 new.

  Visit Dayle Coombe's website http://www.moby302.co.za/   and you will get
the history of Chevrolet in South Africa. Locally (SA) made Chevrolets are
becoming very scarce  and it appears that this 1965 Malibu  may be the only
surviving one. I know of three Chevelle 300's that are stil around, all 1964
models. More detail of the Malibu is to be seen at:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3134416

  Many imported left hand drive vehicles (Malibu's included) are around and
available, but right hand drive Chevy's and Fords are few.

  Johann

  I have a problem with GM SA as they have no inkling of the 60's and cannot
assist me and the US site cannot recognise my details as it is not American.
I would dearly like to get hold of the free Chevrolet restoration pack!