My 65 had power steering to start with. I swapped a 90 Firebird box and
column.  Bolt in really.

From: chevelle-list-boun...@chevelles.net
[mailto:chevelle-list-boun...@chevelles.net] On Behalf Of chevelle292wagon
dejazzd.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:55 AM
To: The Chevelle Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Manual Steering Box

From: Johann Grobler <johann.grob...@absamail.co.za>
Date: Monday, March 23, 2009 12:07 pm
<chevelle-list@chevelles.net>

> Yes please let us know as I want to do the same with my 65 Malibu.

Anyone with an early Chevelle (and a must on a 64) is to check which
centerlink you have.
There is a 13/16" and a 7/8" diameter centerlink and this determines which
idler arm and pitman arm you need, in addition to whether the pitman arm is
for manual steering or power steering.
So, there are actually 4 possible pitman arms for a 64 Chevelle.
Yes, I learned this the hard way before the internet was around!

If you like swapping in other GM P/S steering boxes go with the 7/8"
centerlink and appropriate pitman and idler arms.
see:
http://1964-77chevelleparts.com/catalogPDFs/A1%2006%20suspension.pdf

Pete Geurds
Douglassville, Pa. USA