HEI requires full 12volts to work properly.    The points distributor is
supplied by a resistance wire (or thru a voltage dropping resistor) that
 drops the supplied voltage to 8 or 9V.     May or may not cause your
problem, but the HEI will not be optimized unless supplied with 12V.

If the car has a resistor inline with the coil, just remove it.    If its
supplied by a resistance wire you need to run a new supply wire.   The IGN
terminal in the fuse box is a good place to get tap for the 12v.  Google HEI
conversion for better idea of what to do.

--
Rick Schaefer
72 TPI El Camino