This was kind of on the line I was thinking, when the fuel pressure is
measured- I quickly get 6 psi but it drops right off when I stop cranking.  I
also had the fuel line problem as discussed but replacing that did not do much
good, neither did the carb overhaul.   are there any tricks out there for
replacing the fuel pump? don;t some blocks have a tapped hole in the front
where you can put a bolt and bottom out against the push rod (holding it in
place)
thanks for all the advice!!!

Harlan