In some states it is also illegal to own and sell the VIN tag rivets.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chum Nault
  Sent: Friday, May 06, 2011 2:19 PM
  Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] 69 chevelle

  Larry

  Depending on your state there are laws about removing the VIN tags, I removed
mine during the restoration and I am currently looking for the correct rivets.
I contacted trimtags.com but haven't gotten a reply yet. They make replacement
cowl tags but not Vin tags. You need that tag if you ever want to sell the
vehicle so if you think your painter removed it ask him for it, I don't know
how you will get a replacement and it may be illegal for him to even possess it
depending on your state laws. The numbers on the frame on a 65 are on the top
of the left frame rail between the last 2 rear body mounts.

  Chum Nault