Title: chhattisgarh-net

Messages In This Digest (5 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Chhattisgarh not to acquire agricultural land for industries

Posted by: "Clive Semmens" cliveksemm...@googlemail.com   clivesemmens

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:03 am (PST)

I wonder how much "barren land" is actually barren, and how much is in
reality the land on which people are eking out a living? People who
have ancestral rights over the land, but no bits of paper to prove it.

--- In chhattisgarh-n...@yahoogroups.com, op goel <opg...@...> wrote:

> Congratulations to Dr Raman Singh for a very bold step in deciding
not to acquire private land for industries. This should set at rest
several controversies which had cropped up due to private land
acquisition for industries.
> �
> opgoel�

2.

Cops 'poach' tigers at Kanha reserve

Posted by: "Shubhranshu Choudhary" s...@cgnet.in

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:04 am (PST)

Cops 'poach' tigers at Kanha reserve Meenal Dubey New Delhi, December 28,
2008 <http://indiatoday.digitaltoday.in/index.php>
Authorities at the Kanha Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh have alleged the
involvement of local police officers in the poaching of wild animals,
including protected species such as tigers and leopards.

In the shocking revelation, park authorities said the police were poaching
animals to claim the reward money for seizing animal parts, particularly
tiger and leopard skins.

In the past six months, one tiger and three leopards were killed and their
skins 'seized' by the Balaghat police. This apparently routine seizure
turned out to be an elaborate poaching expedition.

[image: Image]
The allegation has been made in a letter by the park authorities to the
chief wildlife warden of Madhya Pradesh, H. S. Pabla.

"We suspect policemen finance such operations to claim monetary rewards from
the forest authorities," said R. P. Singh, director of Kanha Tiger Reserve.
"I have written a letter highlighting these facts to the state's chief
wildlife warden." Pabla confirmed he had received Singh's letter. He said,
"The authorities at the Kanha Tiger Reserve have raised suspicions about the
role of the police in poaching. We are yet to contact senior police officers
on this." Singh has also written to the National Tiger Conservation
Authority (NTCA), urging intervention. This letter reiterates their
suspicion regarding the involvement of the police.

A source said: "Suspicion of the police involvement rose in November after a
tiger was found killed in the buffer zone of Kanha. Around the same time,
the Balaghat police claimed to have seized a tiger skin. However, they
refused to share details of the case or that of the accused with the forest
department. This raised doubts because a few locals claimed the police were
involved in the killing." The inspector-general of police at Balaghat, C. V.
Muniraju, said: "This allegation of animal killings is not correct. This is
the first time I am hearing of something like this." Park authorities,
however, stick to their theory.

"A part of the Kanha Tiger Reserve falls under Balaghat, which is a Naxal
affected area. Balaghat police get huge funds from the Centre to tackle
Naxals and also to build up their network of informers. We suspect some of
the money is being diverted to fund the killings by informers, usually with
a criminal background. The animal kills are either done by the informers or
by other people on hire. These facts have been mentioned in the letter,"
said Singh.

He also described the alleged modus operandi. "It is difficult for the
police to penetrate the Naxal area. So, we believe they dole out about Rs
5,000 to a local, who then carries out the operation. A prey animal like a
deer or a goat is first poisoned and its carcass then left out in the open
to lure the tiger/leopard, who is then killed. Sometimes, the animal is
killed by electrocution. After a leopard or the tiger dies, it is skinned by
the locals, who hand it over to the police. The police then present the
skins before the media at a news conference and claim the reward money of
about Rs 25,000 from the forest department," added Singh.

So how did the forest officials conclude the involvement of the police?
"Ideally, when the police seize parts of a poached animal, they must provide
us with the information on the body parts of the slain animal. In all the
four cases mentioned (one tiger, three leopards), the police could not
pinpoint where and how the animal was killed or who was involved. The police
did not probe this even after we pointed out the discrepancies. So, we told
them to present proper facts before staking a claim for a reward," said
Singh.

*HOW THEY TRICK ALL*
o A part of the Kanha Tiger Reserve falls under Balaghat, which is a
Naxalaffected area

o Policemen give about Rs 5,000 to a local, usually a police informer, who
then carries out the poaching

o A prey like a deer or a goat is first poisoned and its carcass is then
left out in the open to lure a tiger

o Once the animal, usually a leopard or tiger, comes out in the open, it is
killed

o The animal is then skinned by the locals, who hand it over to the police

o The policemen then present the skins before the media and claim a reward
money of about Rs 25,000 from the forest department

*Courtesy: Mail Today <http://mailtoday.in/>*
3a.

Re: Bastar's bio-diversity endangered by shrub Lantana Camara

Posted by: "Pankaj Oudhia" pankajoud...@yahoo.com   pankajoudhia

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:46 pm (PST)

On one side this news talks about (rare) biodiversity and on another
side suggests use of weedicides to manage Lantana. What will be the
impact of weedicides on biodiversity?????

Instead of asking scientists and botanists, ask management methods to
natives. They will show you *the way*. In Bastar, it is known as
'Bemari Lata' (&#2348;&#2375;&#2350;&#2366;&#2352;&#2368; &#2354;&#2366;&#2335;&#2366;). They have developed many uses of this
exotic weed. Its parts are used in organic farming successfully. Even
they manage rice pest through it in modern chemical farming. Its wood
is used as fuel wood. Natives use it as Mosquito repellent. It is used
as medicine also. Through these uses, natives keep control on its
spread in their surroundings.

On one side in Bastar it is considered as curse for biodiversity by
experts and on other hand, you will find it as ornamental plant in
Rastrapati Bhavan, Rajghat etc. In Raipur, Lantana as ornamental plant
is easily available in nurseries. There is lack of awareness. From
home/public garden it escapes to wild. In old quarters of BSP, Bhilai
you can still see Lantana planted as hedge.

I have written a lot on different aspects of this alien weed. Here are
some links.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&pwst=1&q=site:www.botanical.com+lantana+oudhia&start=10&sa=N

http://ecoport.org/ep?Plant=1323&entityType=PL****&entityDisplayCategory=eArticles

Exotic weeds are not a problem for the Traditional Healers.
By
Pankaj Oudhia

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=earticleView&earticleId=498&page=-2

Pankaj Oudhia

http://knol.google.com/k/pankaj-oudhia/pankaj-oudhia/3nerdtj3s9l79/1#

--- In chhattisgarh-n...@yahoogroups.com, "Shubhranshu Choudhary"
<s...@...> wrote:

> Bastar's bio-diversity endangered by shrub Lantana Camara
>
> *Jagdalpur, Chhattisgarh, Dec 26 : The rare bio-diversity of
Chhattisgarh's
> tribal-dominated Bastar division is facing danger from a fresh
quarter --
> the evergreen perennial shrub Lantana Camara that is spreading over
> thousands of hectares through propagation of its seeds and other parts.*
>
> The Agriculture Department has stressed upon adopting an effective
policy
> to tackle the menace. Agricultural scientists and botanists opined that
> spraying of 0.4 per cent solution of weedicides 24T and 5T plus
24D12 by the
> stump treatment method is effective for controlling the
> crown<http://www.newkerala.com/topstory-fullnews-64839.html#>buds.
>
> ''The shrub -- which affects gardens and agricultural forestry -- also
> causes damage to crop, sanctuaries, protected forests, parks, homes
> <http://www.newkerala.com/topstory-fullnews-64839.html#> and
schools. It is
> present alongside roads, railway lines, telephone and power lines,
> irrigation drains, factories, pastures, tourist spots and places of
> worship,'' said the department's Deputy Director Nageshwarlal Pande.
>
> In non-agricultural areas, the shrub becomes a refuge for snakes, rats,
> insects and other disease-causing agents. Birds, especially the Indian
> Mynah, act as an agent in spreading the seeds. Lantana Camara, which has
> multi-coloured flowers and is also known as
> Spanish<http://www.newkerala.com/topstory-fullnews-64839.html#>Flag,
> is native to tropical regions in central and South America. It was
> earlier used in hedges.
>
> In 1902, a certain type of moth was used to check the shrub's menace in
> Australia and Hawaii.

4.

Jindal drops iron ore mining plan

Posted by: "Ramesh Agrawal" ramesh.agra...@gmail.com   rameshsatyam

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:46 pm (PST)

Jindal drops iron ore mining plan
Express News Service reported that confronted with severe resistance from environmental activists and farmers, JSW has pulled out from its proposed iron ore mining plans at Kanchamalai even before a mandatory environmental impact assessment could be carried out in the area.

The resistance to Kanchamalai iron ore mining started on May 29th 2008 when the Supreme Court empowered committee members, Mr Mahendra Vyas and Mr Jayakrishna arrived and elicited views of the people. The people came to know of the proposal only at that stage.

Mr Piyush Sethia of "Speak Out Salem" which spearheaded the anti mining movement with active support from the farmers surrounding the Kanchamalai hill said that "This is a historic development and a first of its kind in this part of the state. We have saved our hill rich in herbs, a pilgrimage site and a source of many natural springs that had been the lifeline of thousands of people living in the 10 villages around said a jubilant farmer leader Mr RS Mani of the Kanchamalai Padugappu Iyakkam.

As per report, the company is vigorously pursuing the Tiruvanamalai iron ore reserves over an area of 325 hectares in the forested Kavuthi Malai and Vediappan Malai in Imam Karianthal village in Chengam taluk. A public hearing is scheduled to be held on December 27th.

JSW had planned to tap low grade magnetite quartz ore available in Kanchamalai area in Salem and in Tiruvannamalai district by putting up mining facilities at an investment of INR 400 crore. 75 million tonne of resource was to be tapped by TIMCO a JV between Jindal Vijaynagar Ltd and TIDCO was to supply the iron ore to JSW Steel's Salem facility.

However, 638 hectares was sought at Kanchamalai, a place rich in indigenous herbs and 330 hectares at Tiruvannamalai district. Around 90,000 trees at Kanchamalai and 200,000 trees in Tiruvannamalai district including those grown under the Japanese government funded Tamil Nadu Afforestation Project in the last 10 years at a cost of over INR 10 crore will be felled if the project is cleared.

http://steelguru.com/news/index/2008/12/27/NzY2NzM%3D/Jindal_drops_iron_ore_mining_plan.html

Ramesh Agrawal

5.

36garh Diary | 29 Dec | 2008

Posted by: "Shubhranshu Choudhary" s...@cgnet.in

Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:54 am (PST)

Maoists kill three in Chhattisgarh

Calcutta News Sun, 28 Dec 2008 9:44 AM PST

Maoist guerrillas, including female rebels, opened indiscriminate fire at a
weekly market in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district Sunday, killing three
people and injuring five, a police official said.

http://www.calcuttanews.net/story/447190

After months of smoking ban, Chhattisgarh yet to file a case

Calcutta News Sun, 28 Dec 2008 1:31 AM PST

Chhattisgarh police, yet to register a maiden case against a smoker even
after three months of ban on smoking in public places, say they have more
serious jobs in hand in the Maoist insurgency-hit state.

http://www.calcuttanews.net/story/446987

Jindal Power to raise Rs 7,000 cr

Business Standard India Sat, 27 Dec 2008 11:16 AM PST

Jindal Power today said it would raise Rs 7,000 crore in the next one year
from domestic and international sources to fund its brownfield project in
Chhattisgarh.

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/jindal-power-to-raise-rs-7000-cr/00/42/344434/

BHEL bags INR 5040 crore contract from Jindal Power

SteelGuru - Gurgaon,Haryana,India

As per report, BHEL will install 4 units of 600 MW each in OP Jindal super
thermal power plant at Raigarh in Chattisgarh. The scope of work includes
designs ...

http://steelguru.com/news/index/2008/12/28/NzY2ODQ%3D/BHEL_bags_INR_5%252C040_crore_contract_from_Jindal_Power.html

JSPL update on power plant at Raigarh

SteelGuru - Gurgaon,Haryana,India

Mr Jindal said that the company is setting up 4x600 MW super thermal power
plant in Chattisgarh at an investment of INR 10000 crore at a debt and
equity ...

http://steelguru.com/news/index/2008/12/28/NzY2ODY%3D/JSPL_update_on_power_plant_at_Raigarh.html

Living through the pain

Express Buzz - Chennai,Tamil Nadu,India

Many tribals like young Sambhu Istam want to go back to their villages in
Bastar. Around 20000 of them have been living in cramped shantytowns or
camps set ...

http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/story.aspx?Title=Living+through+the+pain&artid=x3mW4OQaxe8=&SectionID=f4OberbKin4=&MainSectionID=f4OberbKin4=&SEO=bodo,+recession,+bastar&SectionName=cxWvYpmNp4fBHAeKn3LcnQ
==

Bagdoria instructs SECL to abide by Chhattisgarh policy

Indopia - India

The ministers instruction came following his meeting with the Chief Minister
Raman Singh today afternoon at the latter&aposs official residence here. ...

http://www.indopia.in/India-usa-uk-news/latest-news/462579/National/1/20/1

JPL to increase Tamnar plant capacity to 3400 MW over four yrs

Indopia - India

Raigarh (Chhattisgarh), Dec 27 Jindal Power Limited (JPL) plans to increase
the production capacity of its Tamnar power plant in the district by an ...

http://www.indopia.in/India-usa-uk-news/latest-news/462388/National/1/20/1

Model code of conduct to come into effect by Feb

Economic Times - Gurgaon,Haryana,India

As for the states where assembly poll was held recently - Delhi, Rajasthan,
Madhya Pradesh, Chattisgarh, Mizoram and J&K - fresh rolls are expected to
be ...

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/PoliticsNation/Model_code_of_conduct_to_come_into_effect_by_Feb/articleshow/3898531.cms

Two CRPF jawans injured in naxal attack

Indopia - India

... which was on a search operation, near Chameli hills under Chotedonger
police station this morning, AN Upadhya, IG, Bastar range told PTI. ...

http://www.indopia.in/India-usa-uk-news/latest-news/462234/National/1/20/1

Two-thirds of elementary schools without headmasters: study

Hindu - Chennai,India

New Delhi (PTI): Two-thirds of the elementary schools in states like
Arunachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh are functioning without
headmasters, ...

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/002200812251731.htm

Chg Cong to launch mass demonstrations against BJP from Dec 28

Indopia - India

Raipur , Dec 25 Chhattisgarh Congress has decided to launch a state-wide
demonstration beginning December 28 against the government&aposs"failure"to
provide ...

http://www.indopia.in/India-usa-uk-news/latest-news/461057/National/1/20/1

Dairy farmers in Chhatisgarh to get loans at 3 pc

Hindu - Chennai,India

Raipur (PTI): Chhattisgarh government has decided to provide loans of upto
Rs 50000 at three per cent interest rates to dairy farmers in the state. ...

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/015200812251440.htm

IAF selects 219 youths from Chhattisgarh

Indopia - India

Raipur , Dec 24 Indian Air Force (IAF) selected 219 candidates in its first
ever recruitment rally held today in Chhattisgarh. Wing Commander, IAF,
Asuthosh ...

http://www.indopia.in/India-usa-uk-news/latest-news/460746/National/1/20/1

Chhattisgarh collectors to implement government manifesto

New Kerala Fri, 26 Dec 2008 0:36 AM PST

Raipur, Dec 26 : The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), that retained power in
the November assembly polls in Chhattisgarh, has convened a meeting of all
the 18 district collectors here Jan 2 to ask them to work for executing the
party's manifesto, officials said Friday.

http://www.newkerala.com/topstory-fullnews-64965.html

State raises financial aid to Naxal victims

The Economic Times Thu, 25 Dec 2008 2:01 PM PST

After years of dilly-dallying, the Maharashtra government has finally
decided to raise the financial assistance and compensation to the next of
kin of policemen who lose their lives fighting the naxals.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/PoliticsNation/State_raises_financial_aid_to_Naxal_victims/rssarticleshow/3892903.cms

Terror attacks leaves Home ministry wounded in 2008

Sakaal Times - Pune,India

It has begun its operations, with two initially raised battalions (each of
nearly 1000 personnel) being stationed in Jagdalpur district of Chhattisgarh
and ...

http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14825535

Chhattisgarh tribal artists create a wooden copy of Holy Bible

New Kerala Fri, 26 Dec 2008 1:39 AM PST

By Ajay Sharma, Kanker (Chattisgarh), Dec 26 : In a unique effort, tribal
artists in Kanker District of Chhattisgarh create a wooden copy of the Holy
Bible.

http://www.newkerala.com/topstory-fullnews-65032.html

Railways to beef up security

Times of India - India

... the railways would co-operate fully with GRP and the state police in
launching a joint operation against the banned Naxal outfit. ...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/Patna/Railways_to_beef_up_security/articleshow/3892415.cms

Hindalco to keep expansion plans going

Economic Times - Gurgaon,Haryana,India

Indian companies, such as Hindalco, state-owned Nalco and Vedanta-controlled
Balco are relatively low-cost aluminium producers and can make profits even
at ...

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News_By_Industry/Indl_Goods__Svs/Metals__Mining/Hindalco_to_keep_expansion_plans_going/articleshow/3892570.cms

Better business for pumpset units

Hindu - Chennai,India

The easy availability of electricity connections and kisan loans in some of
the States, including Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Chattisgarh, ...

http://www.hindu.com/2008/12/26/stories/2008122650190100.htm

Rice procurement crosses 143 lakh tonnes, up by 21 pc

Hindu - Chennai,India

... completed with very little arrival of paddy in the mandis. But the
purchases are in full swing in Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Chhattisgarh
and Orissa.

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/015200812241631.htm

Deep Industries consortium gets block in Chattisgarh

Reuters India - Mumbai,India

BO: Quote, Profile, Research) has been awarded a block in Satpura-Rewa in
the central state of Chattisgarh. Deep Industries holds 70 percent in the
block, ...

http://in.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idINBOM41607620081224
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group