Title: chhattisgarh-net

Messages In This Digest (7 Messages)

1.
Public hearings are a mockery of the law in Jharkhand From: stan swamy
2.
kidnapping of panchayat sachiv From: Nandini Sundar
3.
Information on short-term EIA training programme From: monalizeyahazra
4a.
DCM4 From: Bhan Sahu
4b.
Re: DCM4 From: rahul
5.
(no subject) From: Pravin Patel
6.
Re: (unknown) From: rahul

Messages

1.

Public hearings are a mockery of the law in Jharkhand

Posted by: "stan swamy" stan.sw...@gmail.com

Wed Jun 3, 2009 11:46 am (PDT)

Environmental Public Hearings are a mockery of the law in Jharkhand

- the case of public hearing at UCIL-Jaduguda on 26 May 09 -

Stan Swamy

Public Hearings for Environmental Clearance of various Developmental Projects was made mandatory under the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) notification in 1997. Public Hearings allow for people's participation in the decision making of developmental projects and is the only opportunity for people to raise their concerns about the proposed project. It is the responsibility of the State Pullution Control Board (SPCB) to call for a public hearing when a project is proposed in an area.

The story of UCIL-Jaduguda and the struggle of the mostly Santal Adivasi People against the company is not unknown to the general public. UCIL has been operating for over four decades now. Many of the social problems like the just compensation for the land acquired, cost of medical treatment for radiation-caused illnesses among the workers and the local population, contamination of land, water and air have not been addressed at all.

People have been demanding (a) no new uranium mine (b) bring the existing mine under the international safety guide lines (c) return of tribal land acquired earlier, but not utilized for mining (d) provide livelihood and rehabilitation to the displace people.(f) clean up of the contamination (g) an independent study about the environmental contamination and health effects among the people (h) continuous monitoring of the water bodies to ensure that the radionuclides do not seep into the aquifer, the life line of more than 100,000 people.

The 'Public Hearing' on 26 May 09: This hearing was held to get the peoples' consent for a capacity addition of 20% (from current 2020 tpd to 2500 tpd or uranium ore to be milled) and for another tailing pond to house the radioactive mill tailing. The total tailing that will be let off in the pond will be about 850,000 tons per year. About 15 acres of forest land has also been sought for these.

As per the law, the venue of the meeting should be near the affected communities. But on 26th it was held in the UCIL colony whereas the affected people are not usually even allowed to enter. However, the affected Santal tribal people together with their organisation Jharkhandis Organisation Against Radiation (JOAR) wanted to enter the hall, they were prevented by the employees of the company who had already occupied the hall.

The public hearing was held in the private land of UCIL, near the camp of the Central Industrial Security Forces. Early morning, hundreds of UCIL workers and other beneficiaries had occupied the chairs kept in the hall for the public hearing. The real public, who have lost their lands for the mines and whose health has been damaged due to radiation, had no place in the entire process.
There were lots of public and there were also lots of policemen and members of different security forces. For every one person not in uniform, there was one person from the forces in uniform, some wielding batons, others with rifles and some in riot gear. Though most of the workers are exposed to dangerous levels of radiation, most of them consider themselves fortunate and lucky. That is quite expected in a country where the wage rates/returns in farming is very low and there is not any other job opportunity.

Around 11 AM, the General Manager of UCIL read out a document listing the details of the project. The presentation by the general manger lasted for about 30 minutes. After this, the organizers announced the names of the speakers from the 'public'. Everybody was unanimous on one issue - UCIL provides jobs, food, clothing and houses. All talks about radiation is anti-national propaganda. UCIL has to be protected at any cost. There is no need to hear any viewpoint which is against the interests of the company.

JOAR and other organizations fighting on environmental issues related to radiation, livelihood issues related to loss of land due to mines and contamination of farmlands and water bodies decided to boycott the drama called public hearing, as there was no possibility of presenting the view of the affected people.

"when compared with hunger, pollution is a small issue" is the slogan raised by the workers and other employees of UCIL. Is this the mental attitude to which the ruling class in India is bringing the poor and downtrodden in India? Such an attitude would in the long run prove disastrous. If allowed to continue, pollution will become a bigger killer than hunger itself.

1 June 09

Bagaicha
c/o Agricultural Training Centre
Namkum P.O.
RANCHI - 834 010
Jharkhand

Ph. 09939411612 (mobile)
0651-2260224 (land line)

Email: stan.sw...@gmail.com
stansw...@jharkhandi.com
2.

kidnapping of panchayat sachiv

Posted by: "Nandini Sundar" nandinisun...@yahoo.com   nandinisundar

Wed Jun 3, 2009 6:04 pm (PDT)

Dear Friends

Himanshu/VCA asked me to inform you - since he is unable to access email - that two people were kidnapped by the Maoists yesterday. One was Nagesh, panchayat sachiv of village Dharmapur, a village which VCA has helped to resettle, and the other is Hungaram from Basaguda. They have still not returned. VCA is very worried.

I fail to see what the Maoists gain by such activity - these people must be returned forthwith so that the process of resettlement can go on.

Nandini

3.

Information on short-term EIA training programme

Posted by: "monalizeyahazra" monaliz...@gmail.com   monalizeyahazra

Wed Jun 3, 2009 6:04 pm (PDT)

Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is an important tool to inform
decision-makers, regulators and stakeholders, about the possible
environmental, social and economic costs of the proposed project. To be effective, it requires the active involvement of all concerned stakeholders.
There is a genuine need to develop the capacity of the state-level regulators and state level expert appraisal Committee (SEAC) to screen and scope the EIA process, to conduct transparent public consultations and to evaluate the EIA reports, especially after the new EIA notification. At the same time, there is a need among CBO, NGOs, academicians, and environment managers to review and interpret EIA report, as they are technical in nature.
Centre for Science & Environment recognises this need and has developed a hands-on five-day training programme aimed at giving practical exposure to participants on EIA with specific reference to coal based power plant,cement, pharmaceutical, mining and others. After the programme, the participants shall have:
1. Exposure to all aspects of EIA, from its theory to the practical – such as better understanding regarding
● What data is required, how this data should be collected and interpreted,and significance of the data
● Effectiveness of the assessment methods
● What issues should be addressed in the terms of reference (TOR)
● Tools and thumb rules available to evaluate the environmental impact of projects
2. Better understanding of the EIA process – from screening, scoping, data collection to impact assessment as well as the role of public consultation
3. Better understanding of the environmental and social impacts of the industrial and developmental projects
4. Better ability to review EIA reports and identify its strengths and weaknesses
5. Increased ability to play active role in post-EIA monitoring.

For details contact:
Sujit Kumar Singh, Industry & Environment Unit
Centre for Science and Environment
41, Tughlakabad Institutional Area, New Delhi-110062
Ph: 91-11-2995 5124 / 6110 (Ext. 281); Fax: 91-11-2995 5879
Mobile: 9899676027

4a.

DCM4

Posted by: "Bhan Sahu" bhans...@yahoo.com

Wed Jun 3, 2009 6:06 pm (PDT)

In reference with postponement of DCM4

DCM4 has been postponed. Whatever are the reasons and whoever is responsible but, indeed, it is discouraging news. But we would like to clarify to organizing team of the meet that we had offered to provide toilet facility for the meet because some friends had registered their concerns regarding toilets. One of the friends had even asked bluntly that if participants have to walk towards fields to answer natural call. It gave an impression that there is a big problem of toilet facility.

So, we had offered to provide toilet facility. It was a great challenge for us also, when we planned a 7 days Padyatra last year in September from Ambagarh Chouki to Raipur. To   meet this challenge, one of our Sangwaari had designed and developed a unique toilets made of wooden seats. It´s so simple to install. We have to dig to make a whole on which seat would be installed. After the use, mud has to be poured, instead to flush excreta. Thus, it saves the water and after six months converts into bio fertilizer.

Our offer was not meant at all to demonstrate our innovation, but to serve the demand and to relax organizers.

We had shown our eagerness to participate and expressed our inability to contribute economically for the meet. As we are a poor organization and totally dependent on people´s support so far, even to arrange travel cost is not easy for us. But just one day before the decision of postponement of the meet, we got the information in between the lengthy report of preparatory meeting that contribution is not a problem and we can participate. On the other hand, we had lost our hope for participation much before as there was no intimation about it.

While crying about poor response, which is really a matter of grave concern and need to be reviewed, you have to be a quick responder first, particularly for people like us.

In this reference, we would like to underline once again that we do not have computer facility and do not know English. To assess the CG net is a problem and then to understand the content is another problem. We are dependent on our few sympathizers as per their convenience who knows English. But any how we try our best to remain in touch with the discussions & information.. There may be more members in same situation.

Postponed meet was made limited to water issue. No doubt, water is a major issue prevailing almost everywhere from Ambagarh Chouki to Raipur. It´s a global issue. But here are other issues equally important for an area or a community.  In general, high graph of migration and non implementation of famine code in draught affected areas, and undemocratic governance and anti people policies are major challenges as far as CG is concerned. This challenge must not be ignored.

Lok Sangwaari Pariwaar
Ambagarh Chouki
Rajnandgaon, CG

4b.

Re: DCM4

Posted by: "rahul" aaroh...@yahoo.com   aarohini

Wed Jun 3, 2009 10:51 pm (PDT)

both yahoo and gmail have done some badmashi so that it is not possible to post in mangal unicode hindi through these anymore. i can write in unicode in msword but not in the email. i think the tech savvy people in the group should do something in this regard so that we can have some of the strong and silent majority in this group becoming a little more vocal.

Rahul Banerjee

74,Krishnodayanagar,Khandwa naka,Indore,Madhya Pradesh, India-452001

Cell no: +919926791773

webpage: http://rahulbanerjee.notlong.com

blog: http://anar-kali.blogspot.com

[...]

Posted by: "Pravin Patel" reachppa...@yahoo.com   reachppatel

Wed Jun 3, 2009 9:04 pm (PDT)

Dear Smita jiThanks for the responce and desire to contribute the money towards the program that the SEWA, GKVS and Tribal Welfare Society have organised. Thanks again for the goodwill gesture.  Tecnically, you have contributed Rs. 500/- towards your contribution to share part of the cost of organising DCM 4 at Ratanpur on 6th and 7th of June. 09. It is amply clear that due to extremely poor resonce from the members of the egroup that has on date about 1352 members but only six had confirmed despite repeated reminders, extension of dates to confirm but all in vain.  If the majority remains strong and silent, how can we go ahead like this? Something is definately wrong some where that is what I can say. In place of using the world "Majority" if you use "Most of " it would be more appropriate under the circumstances that we have faced. Even after repeated your requests to lignten up and write there is not a single statement, forget from being lightened.

Yes, there are losses on account of our arranging the logistics required for two days at Ratanpur. It is decided by the organising committee to refund the contributed amount in full and as such, I have no choice but to refund the money.If you desire to share the expenses on 7th, well, first of all, we do not need it as all the three organisations who are cohosting the program are going to bear the same equally. Even if you desire to mke contributions, do the needful by writing to us to do the needful. Best would be to please send me the account number and details where the said Rs. 500/- is to be deposited.  I look forward to meet you at the one day program on 7th where we are going to address "Water and Chhattisgarh" , which is the burning besides other issues of concern to the people of the state. We shall release the report of the program at the group.  With best wishes

Pravin Patel

6.

Re: (unknown)

Posted by: "rahul" aaroh...@yahoo.com   aarohini

Wed Jun 3, 2009 10:51 pm (PDT)

when one says that something is wrong then one has to first define what is right. and it must be defined in a democratic manner. the decision to hold dcm4 was not put to vote asking people whether we should hold it or not. if we had done that we would have had a similar response of six people saying that it should be held and the rest remaining stronly silent and then we would not have gone forward with it. we must first try and understand the nature of this group that we are all a part of.

[...]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal