1a.

Re: 55% kids in MP malnourished

Posted by: "rahul" aaroh...@yahoo.com   aarohini

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:24 am (PDT)

excessive beef eating, soyabean cultivation and general loss of agricultural biodiversity combined with control of international trade in agricultural products by a few multi nationals are all part of an unsustainable agricultural regime supported by massive government subsidies the end result of which is the malnourishment of children all over the world including in the USA where 34.6 million americans were going to bed hungry in 2002 http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cache:d4t-4QSjwoMJ:www.worldfoodprize.org/assets/YouthInstitute/05proceedings/Jefferson-ScrantonHighchool.pdf+child+malnourishment+in+the+USA&hl=en&gl=in&sig=AFQjCNHVQYuS4cSul0mPYNPMrm5H0lPriw
and as far as overeating is concerned the stats for the USA are (http://www.annecollins.com/obesity/statistics-obesity.htm) -
* 58 Million Overweight; 40 Million Obese; 3 Million morbidly Obese
* Eight out of 10 over 25's Overweight
* 78% of American's not meeting basic activity level recommendations
* 25% completely Sedentary
* 76% increase in Type II diabetes in adults 30-40 yrs old since 1990

Organic agriculture can not only be as productive as chemical agriculture but it can also sequester carbon in much larger quantities( http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/csrd/publications/pdf/tweeten_co2.pdf.) the main problem is in ensuring the production of organic manure on a large scale. if subsidies are provided for this instead of for chemical fertilisers, pesticides and fossil fuel energy then a more environmentally and socially sustainable agriculture is possible. one can refuse to acknowledge the unsustainability of the current industrial and agricultural systems not to speak of the financial system ( agricultural insurance and reinsurance worldwide is run on government subsidies) but that will only lead to another collapse and a more dangerous one in future.
Rahul Banerjee
74,Krishnodayanagar,Khandwa naka,Indore,Madhya Pradesh, India-452001
Cell no: +919926791773
webpage: http://rahulbanerjee.notlong.com
blog: http://anar-kali.blogspot.com
________________________________
From: Tobu <alok_ksharma@yahoo.com>
To: chhattisgarh-n...@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, 29 September, 2009 22:57:35
Subject: [chhattisgarh-net] Re: 55% kids in MP malnourished

I did not say 80% of people are responsible for their own miseries. Of all the actions that can improve your situation, 80% can be acted on by yourself. But most of the time people would blame it on something out of their control to give themselves an excuse for not acting.

Waiting for arabs and chinese to eat less beef so that MP kids can get proper nutrition is absurd. To me, blaming higher production of soybean as a prime cause of malnourishment of MP kids is absurd as well and a cruel joke. By implication every kid whose parents don't grow pulses - teachers, steel workers, software engineers.., should have been malnourished.

The cause is the lack of purchasing power of those farmers. Given where the crop prices are and the cost of farming, either you can raise the price (or produce higher priced crop) or reduce the expenses to increase the income. If the problem is volatility of income due to crop failure, there should be crop insurance. If the problem is not about purchasing power but availability, you need better distribution system.

Finally, it is unacceptable to have a malnourished kid just because his parents do not have enough income to feed him. Lack of parent's income is none of the kid's fault. He should not be made to suffer for it beyond a certain point. This is not just about that one kid. Children going hungry should be a shame to everyone in the society. So do something about it but don't wait for the arabs and chinese to eat less beef.

Alok

2a.

Re: Jatland in Chhattisgarh : An article in Open magazine

Posted by: "savebastar" savebas...@ymail.com   savebastar

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:26 am (PDT)

What is also worrying is the huge volume of agriculture land which has fallen in the hands of the business community of Chhattisgarh,all outsiders by the way.All these people do is just keep the land as investment,they don't even do agriculture thus considerably reducing farm produce in Chhattisgarh.

prabhat

--- In chhattisgarh-n...@yahoogroups.com, rahul <aaroh...@...> wrote:

> Apart from the social consequences what is ominous about this development from an agricultural and water resource point of view is that the Haryanvi farmers are now cultivating cash crops with ground water. This is what has crippled agriculture in Punjab, Haryana and Western Uttar Pradesh and now it is going to be spread to Chhattisgarh.
>
> Rahul Banerjee
> 74,Krishnodayanagar,Khandwa naka,Indore,Madhya Pradesh, India-452001
> Cell no: +919926791773
> webpage: http://rahulbanerjee.notlong.com
> blog: http://anar-kali.blogspot.com
> ________________________________

3a.

Re: Chhattisgarh MP's son shot dead by Maoists

Posted by: "savebastar" savebas...@ymail.com   savebastar

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:27 am (PDT)

Today BJP leader Rajnath is also going to pay his tributes to Baliram Kashyap,bold tribal leader.

Kashyap was bold enough to speak against Advani's candidature as P.M. and blamed BJP's loss in Lok Sabha to this.Previously also he has spoken against some communities originally not from Bastar for exploiting the Bastar region so I wonder how many BJP leader really felt sorry when he lost his son Tansen.

One thing is sure that no matter what happens it will be the tribal who will loose their lives in the ongoing conflict in Bastar.First it was Darbar Singh Mandavi and now Tansen Kashyam plus hundreds of innocent villagers and policemen.

Prabhat

--- In chhattisgarh-n...@yahoogroups.com, Shubhranshu Choudhary <s...@...> wrote:

> Chhattisgarh MP's son shot dead by MaoistsIANS 26 September 2009,

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Chhattisgarh-MPs-son-shot-dead-by-Maoists/articleshow/5059792.cms

4a.

Re: World bank loan to India

Posted by: "rahul" aaroh...@yahoo.com   aarohini

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:27 am (PDT)

an editorial in Economic and Political Weekly (http://epw.in/epw/uploads/articles/13927.pdf) on the world bank loan is where i got this data and the relevant portion reads as follows -
"First, on a purely financial basis it must be somewhat ridiculous that while
the Reserve Bank of India currently earns only 2-3% a year on its
foreign currency assets, the government is eager to obtain a
$2.5-$3 billion foreign currency loan for the banking sector at an
annual interest rate of 10-12%."

however, going to the world bank page (http://www.worldbank.org.in/external/default/main?sortDesc=DOCDT&theSitePK=295584&pagePK=51187344&cntry=82602&menuPK=2864500&piPK=51448748 for projects in India I found the following statement regarding the loan pricing policy with regard to these loans -
"The new IBRD loan pricing policy approved by the World Bank's Board on September
29, 2007, has simplified the pricing o f IBRD loans, resulting in the elimination o f commitment
fees. At present, after factoring in the benefits o f sub-LIBOR funding costs and taking into
account the expected disbursement profile o f the loan, based on current forward LIBOR rates the
all-inclusive cost o f the proposed IBRD loan i s estimated at 5.07 percent and 6.31 percent per
annum for the variable and fixed-spread alternatives, respectively."
in addtion to this there is a front end processing fee of 0.25% of the loan amount.

as i am a financial illiterate i dont know how EPW has arrived at its figure.Rahul Banerjee