Title: chhattisgarh-net

Messages In This Digest (7 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Efforts on to initiate dialogue with Naxals

Posted by: "Shubhranshu Choudhary" s...@cgnet.in

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:03 am (PST)

Efforts on to initiate dialogue with Naxals
Rajat Roy / Kolkata December 18, 2009,

While an operation is on to destroy the infrastructure of the
Naxalites in Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Orissa, a move is also being
initiated for a dialogue.

>From tomorrow, a two-day session will be held at Delhi with some human
rights activists to chalk out the talking points before the Naxalites
are approached formally. Though the meeting is being held under the
aegis of a newly formed Delhi Policy Study Group, it appears to have
the Union home ministry’s blessings. The meeting will be chaired by
veteran journalist B G Vergese and attended by noted Gandhian
Himangshu Kumar from Chhattisgarh, activist and social scientist Radha
Kumar, Haragopal from Andhra, Shankar Sharma from Jharkhand, Sujato
Bhadra from West Bengal and some other known activists.

According to Bhadra, the agenda is to evolve a strategy for starting a
dialogue with the Naxalites (CPI-Maoist). Once the major talking
points are agreed, the body will approach the Naxals. The main problem
is that they have been waging a war against the state, notes Bhadra.
Unlike the ULFA in Assam, where the main contentious issue was their
demand for sovereignty, here the situation is complicated. If an
outfit is determined to overthrow the elected political power and
capture state power by armed process, how could one initiate a
dialogue with that?

Bhadra argues, “So, perhaps at the initial stage we will have to make
them agree to reduction of violence. If they agree to stop the
indiscriminate killings of people (both security personnel and
ordinary villagers), then we can ask the government to suspend
Operation Green Hunt (the supposed term for the official offensive)
for the time being.”

Another concern is to make the Naxals agree to some formula whereby
state-sponsored development works could be started in the areas under
their influence. The idea is to make the Naxals understand that the
continued attempt to resist all pro-poor development work in tribal
areas would ultimately alienate them from the poor.

Once the Naxals are agreed on certain points, then a monitoring
mechanism would have to watch how things are taking shape and another
mechanism for regular meetings between the state and the Naxals to
sort disputes in these areas.

Bhadra agrees that much will depend on how the Naxalites respond to
these initial attempts. It is possible that some representatives of
the Centre will also attend the Delhi meeting.

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/effortsto-initiate-dialoguenaxals/379949/

1b.

Re: Efforts on to initiate dialogue with Naxals

Posted by: "op goel" opg...@yahoo.com   opgoel

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:19 pm (PST)

I sincerely hope that this effort bears early fruits.

opgoel

Efforts on to initiate dialogue with Naxals
Rajat Roy / Kolkata December 18, 2009,

While an operation is on to destroy the infrastructure of the
Naxalites in Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Orissa, a move is also being
initiated for a dialogue.

2.

Traditional Indian remedies digitised

Posted by: "CGNet" cgnet...@gmail.com

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:40 pm (PST)

Traditional Indian remedies digitised
It will prevent international pharmaceutical companies from claiming
patents on them

Delhi: Drawing lessons from a bruising legal battle on turmeric, the
government has digitised traditional Indian remedies and healing
systems to prevent international pharmaceutical companies from
claiming patents on them.

"The Traditional Knowledge Digital Library contains details of all
known Indian remedies and healing processes and the manner in which
herbs and other items are used to affect this," Minister of State in
the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) Prithviraj Chavan, said during
Question Hour in the Rajya Sabha, reports IANS.

"We have translated this into five languages and put it in the public
domain. We are more than willing to share this knowledge with scholars
but pharmaceutical companies won't be able to claim patents on this,"
he added.

"We learnt our lessons from the haldi (turmeric) episode," he said,
referring to the the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research's
(CSIR) prolonged legal battle to prevent the US Patent and Trademark
Office from granting a patent for the product to a US firm.

3.

Human rights groups stage demonstration against anti-Maoist operatio

Posted by: "CGNet" cgnet...@gmail.com

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:40 pm (PST)

Human rights groups stage demonstration against anti-Maoist operation
>From ANI

New Delhi, Dec 17: Human right activists and tribals held a
demonstration against the anti Maoist offensive Operation Green Hunt
here on Thursday.

Human rights activists allege that the operation is being used to
trouble innocent tribals.

"We are demonstrating against the operation that has been started
against our own people. We demand from the government to stop the
fight against tribals which they have started in the name of
anti-Maoist operation," said Gautam Navlakha, a human right activist.

http://www.dailyindia.com/show/350175.php

4.

Nagpur court acquits four Naxal leaders

Posted by: "CGNet" cgnet...@gmail.com

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:41 pm (PST)

Nagpur court acquits four Naxal leaders

Nagpur, Dec 17 (PTI) A local court today acquitted four Naxal leaders,
including top brass of Naxalite movement Arun Thomas Ferreira and
Murli Satya Reddy, for lack of evidence of unlawful activities against
them.

Dharendra Bhurale and Naresh Bansod were also let off by

Additional Session Judge R B Patil who said the police had failed to
substantiate charges against them.

The court took into account contradictory evidence produced by police
against them. In one such instance, police disclosed that a pistol had
been seized from Ferreira at the time of his arrest but during the
trial a firearm of different make was produced.

The four were arrested here two years back and were given the benefit
of police lapses for producing contradictory evidence against them.

http://www.ptinews.com/news/429101_Nagpur-court-acquits-four-Naxal-leaders

5.

Special edit on Lies of Human Right activists on Naxal front

Posted by: "abhitesh sharma" sharma_abhit...@yahoo.co.in   sharma_abhitesh

Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:23 pm (PST)

[Attachment(s) from abhitesh sharma included below]

Dear friends

I got a chance to read a special edit in Daily Chhattisgarh by Sunil Kumar. The Article is about the "Lies of human rights activists on Government effort to fight the Naxals".

It is available on page 1 and 6 of Daily Chhattisgarh dated 18th Dec 2009 which I have attached herewith

Please read it.

Abhitesh

Attachment(s) from abhitesh sharma

2 of 2 File(s)

6.

Now who is hiding Mr Vishwaranjan ?

Posted by: "Kamayani BaliMahabal" kamay...@ymail.com   kamay...@ymail.com

Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:29 pm (PST)

From: Siddhartha Mitra <mitra.siddhartha@gmail.com>

Now who is hiding, Mr. Vishwaranjan?

The long wait. The pips. And then the phone rang.

He picked up the phone on the fourth ring.

“Hello?” a gruff voice inquired.

It was a voice of authority. After all, Mr. Vishwaranjan, the person I was calling, was the Director General of Police of Chhattisgarh, the person at the top of the law enforcement institution in the state.      “Sir, my name is Siddhartha Mitra, and I am calling from New York. I am a computer professional working here.”

“Hem”. He cleared his voice. And waited. Evidently we both knew where the call was going. So I dived into the topic, without further ado.

“Sir, I am calling regarding the arrest of Kopa Kunjam”, I said.

“We have been getting many calls regarding this. He has been arrested on a six month old murder case. He was hiding in Himanshu Kumar’s ashram, and when he came out during that time, he was arrested”, the DGP placidly explained.

No doubt this was something he had prepared in advance, and must have repeated it several times by now.

However, there was a big catch to it.

“But I know that is not true. I myself was there in Dantewada two months ago, and I went with Kopa Kunjam to Lingagiri. He came and went from the ashram as he pleased, and he was very much out in the open. He was not hiding there.”

There was a distinct pause at the other end of the line. This was clearly an unexpected and unwelcome counter.

“Look, I do not know the exact details, the SP Bijapur is handling this case”, he paused, desperately thinking of something else to say. “At least, this is what Kopa has confessed. He said he was staying at the Ashram”, he seemed to be trying to backtrack. No, Kopa was not hiding there, but was staying there. And yes, I do not know all the details, so I cannot answer all your questions.

“I know that he was not staying at the ashram at night, because I was there”, I persisted.

His voice took a soothing tone. He condescendingly explained, hoping to clear my ignorance -  “Kopa himself has said so. That is why we know he was staying at the ashram. “

“But he might have said so because he was beaten” , I responded, offering the reason why such allegations might have surfaced.

Slander! Calumny! There was a notable shock in his voice. “That is not how the Indian police system works. Nobody is beaten. The arrested make their statements before the magistrate. I am telling you what Kopa has himself has said during his onfession.”

“There was witness to the fact that he was beaten. Mr. Alban Toppo, the lawyer who was with him saw him getting beaten up.”

Click.

And then a silence.

We shall have to wait another day to know why Mr.Toppo was making up this egregious lie. Perhaps the blows with the cane that he had received himself before he witnessed Kopa’s beating must have caused him to have hallucinations.

Anyway, the conversation had gone a lot longer than expected. After all, my call on the same issue two days earlier to Amresh Mishra, the SP of Dantewada, had lasted only a few seconds. Mr. Mishra, prior to disconnecting the line, had hurriedly mentioned that this case was out of his region of control, and Kopa was in the custody of the Bijapur police, and I should contact SP Bijapur.

And of course, the SP Bijapur was on “vacation”.

At least Mr. Mishra had some excuse. But the DGP is the overlord of the entire police force in the state. In the end, it is his sole responsibility on how law is enforced in Chhattisgarh. He has no SP Bijapur or vacation to excuse himself with.

Now who is hiding, Mr. Vishwaranjan?

Siddhartha Mitra

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group