Thanks for all of the great feedback. Based on the loose consensus so far,
here's my plan:

I will

* rename the module to "s" rather than "strings"
* retain the current "s-" prefix for procedures
* rewrite the documentation in Chicken Wiki format (or convert from
markdown directly? One can wish...)
* re-implement using irregex rather than the regex egg
* re-implement using unit data-structures over srfi-13 where possible
(thanks for this excellent performance tip-- I would never have known)
* Release the finished product as an egg. By "official", I had only meant
"an egg installable by chicken-install," as opposed to "some random module
on github."

Thanks again for everyone's help.
- Nick