This sounds exactly like something I have run into before with one of my
chicken scheme sites, running on awful. Most pages would load just fine,
but then every so often I would get that error. I was running the site
behind nginx, but that is the error that nginx was giving me. I never did
get all the way down to the bottom of the problem but I realized that if I
prevented my site from creating cookies and deleted the ones that were
there, things would work fine (in my case it was the Google analytics
cookies). It started happening when I updated to chicken 4.8. In my case
though, it only happened when being proxyed through nginx. It could be
something wrong with nginx, but my gut is pointing towards spiffy/http libs
and it doing something wrong, or even doing something too correct for other
pieces of software. Not sure if this is related at all, but I thought I'd
share it. If I can find some time in the next few days I'll see if I can
reproduce it.