Hi Andy,

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Andy Bennett <andy...@ashurst.eu.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone offer guidance on how to send a multipart/alternative mail
> with hato? I'm trying to send HTML mail with a text/plain alternative.
>
> For my proof of concept I tried:
>
> -----
> (send-mail From:    "Pat Andrews <p...@knodium.com>"
>            To:      "Andy Pandy <andy...@knodium.com>"
>            Subject: "Hato Test"
>            Charset: "ISO-8859-1"
>            Attachments: '((Body: "Hello this is the first attachment")
>                           (Body: "This is the second attachment")))
> -----
>
> This results in a multipart mail where both parts show up in my mail
> reader.
>
> I then tried:
>
> -----
> (send-mail From:    "Pat Andrews <p...@knodium.com>"
>            To:      "Andy Pandy <andy...@knodium.com>"
>            Subject: "Hato Test"
>            Charset: "ISO-8859-1"
>            Attachments: '((Body: "Hello this is the first attachment")
>                           (Body: "This is the second attachment")))
> -----

When specifying your own multiple Content-Type, you
need to include the boundary:

  Boundary: "xyzzy"

[Ideally it should infer the boundary in this case, and it
would also be nice to automatically generate the boundary
when unspecified.]

This should prevent everything falling out to the top-level
as you described, though it may not generate quite what
you want.  You can log issues on hato.googlecode.com.
If it's a bug I'll try to fix it, but feature requests will largely
be pending the port to R7RS.

> hato seems to generate MIME messages with a single boundary string.

Attachments may include nested attachments, which will
result in nested multiparts with different boundaries.  You
should only need one top-level boundary in your case though.

--
Alex