On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 12:59 PM, John Cowan <co...@mercury.ccil.org> wrote:

> > The same approaches also apply to eggs needing the full
> > numeric tower, though with UTF-8 there's less chance of
> > breakage when mixing eggs which do and don't use the utf8 egg.
>
> I would say that UTF-8 has *more* chance of causing undetected
> breakage, because UTF-8 strings have an interpretation as core
> strings, whereas bignums, ratnums, compnums etc. don't look
> like numbers to the core, and errors will be thrown.

Well, less chance of breakage, but more chance the
breakage goes undetected.  Possibly a much worse
situation, but it's possible to know a priori that there
won't be breakage, e.g. the non-utf8 egg is format,
and you're not doing any padding or truncating.  On
the other hand, it's pretty much impossible to mix
numbers and non-numbers eggs.

--
Alex