On friday afternoon we picked up a 5 month old chihuahua from a
breeder. The breeder told us she hadn't fed him since she knew we
were coming to get him (she didn't want him to get car sick on the
45 minute drive back home). When we got home I offered him some food
(the same kind of the breeder had him on) but he wouldn't eat. I
wasn't overly concerned being he was a new strange place, new
people, new dogs etc. We introduced him toour other dogs, he played
with some and was drinking water fine. Sat. morning he still
wouldn't eat, peed and pooped - everything looked normal. Took him
to the vet. for his check up at 11. He had some ear mites but
nothing else wrong. His coccidiosis (sp?) level was normal but since
he wasn't eating for me the vet went ahead and put him on albon. She
said he could stand to gain a little weight but other than the ear
mites seemed healthy. When we got home he threw up the wormer pill
they had given him. I was giving him nutra cal since he wasn't
eating and the vet gave me some electrolite fluids which he was
drinking. I called the breeder (she had asked me to call her after
he had his vet appointment to let her know how things were going.)
When I told her he wasn't eating she was pretty concerned but we
were still chalking it up to the anxiety of changing homes. She did
mention that after we picked him up Fri. she found oneof his
rubber/plastic toys that he had chewed into tiny pices and she
wondered if he had ingested any of it.

 I gave him the albon later that evening and he threw it back up. He
played with the dogs some, still peeing/pooping normal - still not
eating. Around 11 pm he started vomitting 2x an hour. By 2:30 am I
called the vet. because I didn't think he would make it till
morning. The vet. suggested it was parvo but wasn't sure after I
told her he had no fever and no diarreah. We decided I would keep
him comfortable till morning then call the breeder and take him
back. It was a long night and there were times I really thought he
was going to die. I started calling hte breeder at 7 am. She called
me back at 10 am and asked me if he was still alive. I told her he
was but I dind't know for how long. We took him back to her. She
called me an hour after we dropped him off and said he seemed to
have perked up a bit being back home but still wasn't eating -
though he wasn't vomitting either. Still no fever or diarreah.
Monday I called the vet. and asked them what I should do in case he
had parvo. and they told me to wash down everything with a bleach
solution. (which I did - He never was out in our yard. I carried him
formt he car to the house and he was paper trained) The breeder
called me Monday afternoon and said when she got up that morning and
checked on the puppy he had passed a piece of the toy and a small
piece of cloth. He was still very weak but seemed to be doing better.
I guess my main ? is- do you think it's safe to go ahead and get a
new puppy? The vet's office had said even if it was parvo since he
wasn't in the yard, as long as I cleaned everything with the bleach
solution we should be safe. What do you think?

Stephanie