This is my advice, it worked for us very well.
Mine used to be awful.  He once even bit a lady on her face.  I
would tense up when people came near him because I was afraid he was
going to be mean.  Dogs will always feel this and react by being
aggresive.  If you pick the dog up, or shield him from people, or
hold him even closer to you when he's getting aggresive, he sees it
as a reward for his behavior.  (I made this mistake every time.)  If
he senses you're getting nervous (of how he'll react) when people
come around, he feels the need to protect you and himself.  Try
finding calm, UNAFRAID, and willing volunteers to help.  Get in a
happy calm mental state yourself and have the volunteer approach you
and your dog (without staring him in the eye, that's a sign of
aggresion to dogs).  Just have the volunteer stand close to you and
dog for a couple of minutes without paying any attention to the
dog.  Talk about something unrelated to the task at hand to get your
minds off the dog if you have to.  After a while the dog should
relax and the volunteer should pet him gently yet without
apprehension.  If doggy doesn't get nasty, reward him lavishly for
his good behavior.  If he reacts poorly, put him down or push him
away so he knows his behavior is not acceptable to you - the BOSS!
Repeat it as often as possible and he should get out of the habit of
being demon dog.  Try to never tense up and make sure your
volunteers are not timid or afraid, or dog will know immediately and
react badly in order to get the stranger to go away.  Good Luck!