Well, you don't have to crate her. You could put her in an expen. Or tie her to your waist so she's where you are and you know when she's going so you can stop her. They don't necessarily automatically use pee pads - even if they have the 'smell' to entice them to go. You need to train her to go on it, the same as you train her to go to a 'certain spot' outside. And that's going to be hard if you don't either catch her going and move her there OR keep her enclosed somewhere where she doesn't have much choice but to use OR keep her crated except when you remove her and put her on the pad - if she uses it, she gets some freedom (under your watchful eye).

There are some who always eventually go where they're not supposed to, even though they're trained. I've heard that enough times on the list. But if you have the time and guts to put into it, you have a better chance. IMO

Marie