Please fwd.
Jackie

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Cook,
Shelby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This is the most recent info on this and they'd like mail from those
within and outside of the county to write.

Shelby

To everyone: It is important that we flood the Mayors office & Council
Members offices with WRITTEN, good old US Post Mail that they will not
be able to delete.

 This is Victoria's example of a 'nice but pointed' letter to the
councilmen (women) of the Metro Louisville City Council & Mayor Jerry
Abramson is attached, along with the names & the address to send the
letters.

Victoria writes:

Letters, dear people, 'snail mail' do make a difference. (Remember:
Santa was exonerated when a mountain of mail was delivered to him in
the
courtroom in "Miracle on 34th St".  We want to do the same thing for
our
dogs & pets in Louisville!)  Please, please, please write these kind
people & let's let mountains of mail get & keep their attention.  It
would be wonderful if they could not get into their offices due to the
response to their just 'wonderful' animal control ordinance!  No name
calling or profanity allowed, just nice but 'pointed' letters, please.
We all are intelligent, responsible pet owners & we need to show just
that!

Victoria Straub (Ruff-Cut Chinese Shar-Pei)

2311 Blackiston Mill Rd.

Clarksville, IN  47129-9012

December 27, 2006

Councilman (woman)...

Louisville Metro Council

601 West Jefferson St.

Louisville, KY 40202

Councilman (woman)...:

Every animal control program across the country that has proven to be
effective has had the support of the responsible dog and animal owners
in those communities.  That support was gained by programs that reward
responsible ownership.  I do not think it was your council's intention
to alienate every responsible dog and pet owner in Louisville and
Jefferson County, Kentucky!!!

The death of a little girl from injuries sustained from the family
dog,
and that of the death of a gentleman from injuries sustained while he
ran from two dogs, was a real opportunity to pool resources to
identify
and offer incentives for responsible dog (and animal) ownership and to
draft enforceable reasonable laws to deal with dangerous dogs and
negligent dog owners.

Incentives for responsible dog ownership could (and should) include:
license fee reductions for owners who: 1) provide proof of
sterilization; 2) proper fencing; 3) obedience training; 4) permanent
identification; or 5) other evidence that they are responsible
owners; a
free ride home for any pet picked up at large if it is identified
with a
microchip, tattoo, or license tag; and annual community education
programs that encourage responsible ownership.

The other side of this equation is the strict enforcement of
reasonable
nuisance and control laws.  Pet owners, breeders, and exhibitors
(responsible pet owners) should be invited to be leaders and help
draft
such nuisance and control laws so as to be enforceable and reasonable.

An animal control program drafted to reward responsible ownership,
build
good relationships between animal control agencies and the public, and
punish only those who refuse or neglect to properly confine and
control
their pets could not help but be a benefit to Louisville and Jefferson
County.

Mayor's address:

Mayor's Office
Metro Hall / 4th Floor
527 W. Jefferson St.
Louisville, KY 40202

Louisville Metro Council
601 West Jefferson Street
Louisville, Ky 40202

Send mail to :

District 1: Judy Green

District 2: Barbara Shanklin

District 3: Mary Woolridge

District 4: David Tandy

District 5: Cheri Hamilton (aka the devil herself)

District 6: George Unseld

District 7: Ken Fleming

District 8: Tom Owen

District 9: Tina Ward-Pugh

District 10: Jim King

District 11: Kevin Kramer

District 12: Rick Blackwell

District 13: Vicki Welch

District 14: Bob Henderson

District 15: Marianne Butler

District 16: Kelly Downard (aka Champion of Pet Owners Rights)

District 17: Glen Stuckel

District 18: Julie Adams

District 19: Hal Heiner

District 20: Stuart Benson

District 21: Dan Johnson

District 22: Robin Engel

District 23: James Peden

District 24: Madonna Flood

District 25: Doug Hawkins

District 26: Ellen Call

May I add, even if you do not live in Louisville/Jefferson County, we
need you to join our fight & write letters. It will be on your
doorstep
next if it passes here. Feel free to copy this sample letter or
compose
your own. But please do write so they must face a mountain of mail.