  From: cassmisty
  To: Chihuahuas@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 9:24 PM
  Subject: [Chihuahuas] Re: aggresive puppy

  heres what Im going to do start trianing her to sit , come , and let
  her play after , when I take her out of the crate, using treats.
  then she will see that coming out and being picked up even carried
  is positive , she gets play and treats. When she is being bad i will
  hold her dowm [ not harsh or hard] until she calms down then let
  her go do her thing. if that does not work I will have to find
  somewhere where theres nothing ,., no one and no fun like a time out
  room or corner. maybe using a seperat crate. a time out one. If you
  guys dont agree to this let me know--- In
  Chihuahuas@yahoogroups.com, "marsha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

  > obviously some of us have differing opinions, so you will have to
  do what is best for you. But if every picking up ends up leading to
  crating, then likely the growling will get worse because it becomes
  a never ending cycle of pick up -growl- crate. She will only
  associate your picking her up with something negative...thus why
  would she ever want you to pick her up?
  > Marsha

  to be picked u. So everytime she does that i put her back in her
  cage and dont let her come out and play?But she does not want to be
  held and rolly will think she is getting her way?

  > Sherri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  >
  > I am a professional dog trainer and I did not say that
  carrying her would cause the problem. She already has the problem
  and you don't want to aggravate it. If a dog is not aggressive then
  sleeping on the bed is not going to make them aggressive, but if
  they are it will certainly support their dominant status. Any dog
  that growls looses all priviledges until they learn who is the
  boss. She is trying this "boss" thing on and if she gets away with
  it, it will get worse.

  > She must work for attention and be given free love and kisses
  for nothing.

  > Sherri
  >
  > marsha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  >
  > I have had chis for 20 years, and have always enjoyed
  carrying mine around, and they sleep on my bed, get on my furniture
  and all that. I have never had a problem with that and it has never
  led to any aggression with any of my chis. I don't think those
  things are a problem....the only thing you need to worry about is
  correcting any signs of aggression immediately. I disagree that one
  needs to be so aloof in order to tame aggression. I will correct an
  aggressive pup one moment and give it lots of kisses the next. A lot
  like a toddler that bites.....you correct the toddler and then you
  let them know you love them. When my children were toddlers and did
  something that needed corrected, I might would give a swap on the
  pamper, but then I would tell them they can't do that, now give me a
  kiss. I do the exact same thing with my pups. They misbehave, I
  correct, then I love on them.

  > I have now been working on mom's puppy (4 months) for 2
  days, and already, once she growls, I place her in my lap on her
  back till she stops, then I pick her up and give her a hug and kiss
  and go on with life. She is learning after only 2 days.

  > Marsha

  I want to
  > bring her around when she is older [ 5 months or so] and
  bring her
  > everywhre and socialize her shoudlnt I get her used to it.
  Like
  > maybe carry her to her bed and from it, carry her to her
  food. Only
  > little things like that that last lesss then a minute.
  Also I

  wrote:

  > > She is a dominant girl and is trying to assert herself.
  She needs
  > some guidance, rules and an education to let her know that
  > the "boss" position is filled. Do not pamper her and make
  her work
  > for things she would like. Make sure you keep her on the
  floor and
  > DO NOT carry her around.
  > >
  > > Sherri
  > >
  > > Jessica Wolinski <jaded_ska_princess@> wrote:
  > > awwww just take your time with her she is a baby herself
  > and needs to be taught things... I really don't understand
  why
  > people get animals and right away expect them to be
  trained and
  > behave... That is something that's taught just like a real
  child....
  > That is the reason we have soooo many homeless pets in
  this world
  > because people don't thing it through enough... a pet is a
  HUGE
  > responsibility and needs almost as much attention as a
  child does..
  > I would give it time and teach her what you want her to
  > do..otherwise if you don't she wont know whats shes doing
  is wrong.

  > > cassmisty <cassmisty@> wrote: My puppy is 7 weeks old.
  > She is mean , aggresive, like wehn we pick her
  > > up from sleeping, or the floor, i heard the worms thing,
  she has
  > none
  > > in her poop. Yet today sence we stoped giving her
  formula she has
  > > calmed down . She growled at the baby. and once at my
  mother,
  > thats it.
  > > I picked her up today when she was playing and she did
  not growl
  > at
  > > me , I even picked her up when she was eatting and took
  the food
  > from
  > > her, not one growl from her. Yest. we could not do that.
  But she
  > did
  > > growl when I touched her mouth. Maybe it's teething
  thats also
  > bugging
  > > her, or like my last dog would not let us touch his feet
  without
  > > growling, she just does not like her mouth touched. what
  should I
  > do
  > > about that ? We were going to run an ad today to find
  her a better
  > > home, but we are going to ghive her a couple days or so
  to see if
  > > stopping the formula or something would help.
  > >
  > > Thank you
  > > Cassie

  > > Never Miss an Email
  > > Stay connected with Yahoo! Mail on your mobile. Get
  started!