I asked about the plastic collar and my vet said, they no longer use that anymore. The meds on his stitches were silverish in color, almost like powdered mercury! He did lick it but not so much. Though he did look like he had silver eyeshadow on because of it! His stitches no longer needed to be removed. It was absorbed by the skin and disappeared. Right now, all of the stitches are gone except on teeny tiny thing that's left because it's not in contact with the skin so it's taking longer to melt.

The vet advised no bathing for 2 weeks just so the wound heals well.