Heats, in my experience, are different for each dog.
I had a dog that before she was fixed, had heats that
lasted 28 days!  When our male dog was interested, but
we weren't interested in breeding them, the vet
suggested that we give him a cold shower to take his
mind off of what was happening.  It really worked as
he was one that would cry, refuse food, refuse to
sleep among other things, and it lasted for the
majority of 28 days!  If he got a cold shower, he was
more concerned with being wet than what was going on
with her.

Jennifer
--- mnwoodlief <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How long is this going to last?  Her heat started
> around the 13th and
> she is still very swollen, red, and sore.
> The male will not stop whinning at her or even
> barking at times, which
> he NEVER did before, and wont leave her alone...how
> do I stop him from
> that?
> What are considered the "prime breeding days"?  I am
> not planning on
> breeding her for another few heats, but this will be
> good information
> for the future.
>
> Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

Jennifer
"She was not quite what you would call refined.  She was not quite what you
would call unrefined.  She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."

Mark Twain