I was taking Jaelyn outside for a potty break this afternoon and she was
distracted by the guys taking out our old furnace. She wanted to be near them
and before I knew it happened she slipped out of her collar. Because she's been
so cold without heat in the house for the past few weeks I took her harness off
this past week. I was tired of always having to take it off, change her outfit,
and then put it back on.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Emma, the chocolate lab from next door who
roams our property several times a day. (Much to my frustration.) I knew once
Jaelyn saw her she'd take off like a shot and sure enough before I could grab
her she saw Emma and took off after her chasing her home. Thank God she took a
breather to pee on Emma's potty spot and make herself known! That's when I was
able to grab her.

After the commotion I looked back to the whole thing and laughed a little.
First, because me (with arthritis and fibromyalgia) trying to catch up to her
must have been laughable. Second, because seeing a little 4 1/2 lb chihuahua
chasing a 40-ish lb lab was more than a little funny. Though at the time my
biggest scare was her without a collar telling people where her home is. I
could see someone not thinking to bother to check if she had a microchip or
purposely not checking so they could keep her. That was what kept going off in
my mind as I tried to go after her.

It was the first time I realized what my life could be like without her in it.
For that split second I thought I'd lost her for good and I'd never catch up to
her. Thank God I was wrong. Back to the harness we go...

Jesslan