Any progress is good progress.  Congratulations!!!!

Is the bedtime crate in the same room as you at night where you would hear her
when she needs out?  Jax will quietly whimper in his crate when he needs to get
out so if he wasn't in my room I wouldn't be able to hear him.  If the crate is
in another room maybe use a baby monitor so that you will hear her.

I would continue with the no towels in the crate until she is no longer messing
in there. I know it's got to be hard but as long as it's warm where she is she
should be fine.

I have just today taken Jax out of his little tiny crate and set up the large
crate next to my bed.  I put a big pet bed in that covers the bottom of the
crate and threw his sleeping bag and a blanket in there to keep him warm.  We
will see tonight if this works for him.  He still gets up between 4-5am and
needs to go outside.  He is 4 1/2 months old.  At that time I let him come back
to bed with me until about 6:30.  Not sure if he wakes up to pee or if it's
more to go back to bed with me. :<)

When working with the trainer and the assistance dogs we were told there is a 3
second rule to treat or praise a dog for the good behavior.  After that they
have moved on.  Maybe when you find the mess on the pad you should take her
there and put her on the pad let her sniff the poo and then reward.  Not sure
if this will just confuse her more though.  You might set a treat on the pad
when she isn't around and that would encourage her to go in there.  After a
couple of times finding a treat there she might go back looking for a treat
more often and hopefully think that while she is there to use the pad.  I have
used that trick to get Jax used to his crate. (hiding a treat inside) Jax is
such a chow hound that he will do just about anything if I have a treat in my
hand so that has made it easier to get him to go potty outside on command. We
still have an accident once in a while but it is usually my fault because I
miss seeing him going to the door.
  I've never used pee pads and just trained them to go outside.  I live in the
NW so we don't get a lot of snow and even when we did have 16" my other Chi
just followed the labs tracks and went under a tree where the snow wasn't very
deep.  When it's raining I do find that the accidents increase with Jax.  I
have an umbrella outside and I take him out under the cedar tree where it's
protected until he does his business or he sometimes uses the covered patio.
(my husband hates that)

Keep up the good work!

Kay