Stairs are a no-no for long bodied dogs from what I was told in the Lovedach
and Badgerdog lists I'm a member of.  Use a ramp.  They're much better for your
long backed dogs.  Yet, I've had one dachshund that used a ramp and still had
back problems.

\
  \   /\                Alice
  (   )    whiterabbi...@gmail.com