Hi Amanda,

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Amanda Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It depends a little on what you want to do.  Do you want to embed the
> entire UI, tab strip and all, or do you want to embed web views?  It
> sounds a little from your description that you're reinventing the
> multiprocess wheel--you can already invoke a renderer process and talk
> it via an IPC channel--with the container application responsible for
> resource loading etc.  A COM control that just launched a renderer
> directly seems simpler than adding a COM server in the full app that
> just short-circuits most of the app :-).
>
> Rather than focusing on a particular mechanism, what do you want the
> user (or developer) to see?

I agree, let's take a step back.

What I would like the developer to see is the following:

1. A single ActiveX control that they can host in their application to
support embedded browser windows.
2. Each embedded browser window as a separate process so that, if one
crashes, it doesn't take down the container application.
3. Support by default for existing chrome functionality including navigation
history, context menus, printing, downloading files, etc.  Default support
for tabs would be nice, if feasible, but it's not a requirement.
4. A set of interfaces that the container application can implement to
override or disable the default functionality.

What I would like the user to see is the following:

1. A browser window that is themed to match the container application,
meaning custom drawing of scroll bars, etc, if desired.
2. All of the functionality that they have when they run chrome as it
currently exists, minus a few things like favorites that aren't really
applicable, and minus anything that the container application explicitly
disables.

So, what's the best way to do all that? :-)

> --Amanda

Regards,
Marshall