On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 1:44 AM, Dan Kegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Marshall Greenblatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I think it would be nice to leverage chromium's multi-process
> architecture
> > in a COM context.  The chromium browser process would be hosted in
> > a local COM server executable.
> > Each browser window requested by the container
> > application (and created by the COM server) would be a separate webcore
> > process managed by the browser process...
> > The COM runtime could transparently handle LRPC marshaling between
> > the container application and the COM browser process, and the browser
> > process could communicate with the webcore process using IPC per
> > the usual methods.
>
> Sounds good-ish to me.  Go forth and code a demo...?

I think we need to discuss our options a bit more first :-).

The most interesting implementation may be retrofitting the existing
chrome.exe with COM server support.  COM uses command-line arguments to tell
an executable that it's being launched as a COM server.  We would modify
WinMain() to look for those command-line arguments and then call various COM
functions to register itself with the system.  We would launch the message
loop and either hide or avoid creating the main Chrome browser window (using
a technique similar to background browser tasks, perhaps?).

The container application would load a simple in-process DLL hosting a COM
ActiveX control.  The ActiveX control would internally establish and
maintain a connection with the browser COM server.  Each webcore window
(browser control) would perhaps be treated like a pop-up window by the
browser process, with the ActiveX control taking the place of the dialog
frame.  Finally, we would create interfaces that hook into various system
capabilities allowing the container application to control browsing,
resource access, context menus, etc.

This implementation would give embedded browser controls access to existing
Chrome browser functionality with minimal development and maintenance cost.
Does anyone have objections to adding COM capabilities in chrome.exe vs
creating a completely separate executable?

Regards,
Marshall