I thought the point of the tarball was to bootstrap the process, not to
remove the gclient dependencies. Doing a full checkout via gclient can be
slow (lots of requests for lots of files) and taxing on our server (same
reason). Having some base from which to start speeds it up and reduces load
on the server. I don't think we ever had a hard requirement that the tarball
be everything one would ever need, it just happened that the first versions
did happen to be so.
-Ian