On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Alex Russell <slightly...@google.com> wrote:

> MSFT did a new set of fonts to take specific advantage of ClearType:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypeFonts.mspx
>
> The "Core Fonts" are still available and installed by default on all
> windows versions that I can find information on, but they were
> designed for a simpler time when sub-pixel hinting was still rare. I'm
> not sure that implies that we should do anything in particular WRT
> Droid, though.

I have them on my Windows box. They are nice fonts, but I think they
are optimized for the antialiasing algorithm on Andorid: I don't find
that they look quite as good on Windows using ClearType.

For a while, I was interested in including their fallback font which
we could use to guarantee that glyphs are available for most
characters. But (I assume) for space reasons on the phone, this font
is not hinted, so looks pretty ugly.

Brett