On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Huan Ren <hu...@google.com> wrote:

> I am trying to improve the UI automation framework with the goal of
> reducing disabled UI test from 42 to 10 and running time (xp release)
> from 400s to 200s.

We got a ~2x performance improvement by running the webkit tests in parallel
on dual-cores. On 4 or 8 core machines we see a much larger improvement. Is
it worth looking into trying to run the UI tests in parallel?

I'm not sure what the difficulties here would be. One obvious one is that
each UI tests would need to use it's own user-data-dir so that the various
Chrome instances are isolated from each other. I'm not sure what work the
automation stuff would need to be isolated for each test.

One nice thing about this approach is that this makes the tests faster for
developers running the tests in addition to the bots. If we get these
mythical 8-core machines, I can imagine that we could run the UI tests in
well under a minute.

Ojan