On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Amanda Walker <ama...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Perhaps what we need is a companion to FilePath.  For example:
>
> FilePath: much as it is now, lightweight, "alternative to string
> manipulation".
> FileReference: heavierweight, can talk to the file system and have
> carnal knowledge of platform specifics for things like resolving /
> canonicalizing pathnames, determining whether or not they refer to the
> same files, generating C strings that can be passed to 3rd party
> libraries, etc.

I think this is very dangerous.

I think Greg should not be talking to the filesystem when inserting
filenames into a set. We don't allow filesystem access from the UI
thread of Chrome, and I think other parts of our system should also
not do filesystem access on their critical threads, especially if they
want to be more part of Chrome in the future.

Brett