You mean what I made that failed to work? my_toolstrip.html just
contains:

{m='http://mail.google.com/mail/?
ui=1&view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=&su='+encodeURIComponent(document.title)
+'&body='+encodeURIComponent(document.location);w=window.open
(m,'addwindow','status=no,toolbar=no,width=575,height=545,resizable=yes');setTimeout
(function(){w.focus();},%20250);})();">

I thought that since a bookmarklet is a bookmark with code in the url
field, if I put that same code in the onclick (which usually points to
a url) it would work. But unfortunately the button shows up in the bar
but does not do anything when clicked.

The overall goal is to make an extension that when clicked will open
up gmail with the url of the page you're currently viewing in the body
of the email. Gmail This, basically. If you can think of a different
way to accomplish this other than mangling a bookmarklet, that is
beyond my level of knowledge.