Hello,
The code you pasted is a bookmarklet, as in, you add a bookmark and place
its URL to:
"javascript:(function(){m='
http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1&view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=&su='+encodeURIComponent(document.title)+'&body='+encodeURIComponent(document.location);w=window.open(m,'addwindow
','status=no,toolbar=no,width=575,height=545,resizable=yes');setTimeout(function(){w.focus();},%20250);})();"

As far as  I know, it will not work in an extension because each extension
has is its own page. You will get the
chrome-extension://000000000000000000000000000000000/tool_strip.html as its
document.location (aboodman can correct me if I am wrong).

If you wanted to make that as an extension. You would have to use the chrome
API's. I don't believe the Tabs API (
http://dev.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/extensions/tabs-api) is
complete. So you have to get the current window id and use that id to get
the current working tab. Something like this:

function getCurrentWindowTitle() {
chrome.windows.getCurrent(onCurrentWindow);
 }

function onCurrentWindow(currWindow) {
chrome.tabs.getSelected(windowID, onSelectedTab);
 }

function onSelectedTab(currTab) {
var tabURL = currTab.url;
 }

I believe you can go directly and get the selected tab by doing:
chrome.tabs.getSelected(onSelectedTab);

But, getSelected for the Tabs API is not currently implemented (or not
working, for me that is). Aboodman can clarify.

-- Mohamed Mansour