On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jor...@google.com> wrote:

> Therefore, once those four patches land (might be a little while, one may
>> cause problems for Apple folks), I claim that this setup is finally ready
>> for Windows developers to use.  There are still a few rough edges (creating
>> patches to files that don't have svn:eol-style set may result in patches
>> that don't apply/unapply cleanly, due to an apparent SVN bug; I haven't
>> tested all the scripts [e.g. bugzilla-tool], just the ones I use), but by
>> and large things work.
>>

> Would it be safe for the script to just automatically apply that flag on
> any file it's touching?

Which script?  Which flag?

It would be nice if every file in the WK repo had svn:eol-style set to an
appropriate value.  We have this in Chromium, and enforce it with a commit
hook (and make life easier on developers by listing some auto-props for them
to use).  According to eseidel, darin (that's Darin Adler) used to keep
eol-style set on most things in WebKit, but stopped some time ago.  So if
you look in the tree, a large number of files have this, but another large
number don't.

Changing WebKit to work like Chromium in this regard would require four
things:
(1) Agreement that this is valuable to WebKit (e.g. because it makes Windows
hacking much saner)
(2) Someone to run scripts over the tree to correct all existing files, as
pamg (?) did for Chromium.
(3) A commit hook to ensure things don't regress.
(4) Clear instructions for developers about how to set up SVN to apply the
right eol-style automatically, so people don't have to do it manually.

I don't have the ability to do any of those, except for maybe trying for the
first one.  And there I think I might rather not push my luck right now :)

PK