Sid and I discussed this further, and would like to suggest an simpler first
step. Sid is going to take a stab at implementing automatic language
detection for spellcheck.
When the spell-checking language is set to auto and the user focuses a text
field, we will use CLD to set the spellcheck language to:

   - the language of the contents of the text field, if there is enough
   content (useful for email replies, for example).
   - otherwise, fall back on the language of the page itself, if there is
   enough content.
   - otherwise, fall back on Chrome's UI language.
   - optional sanity check: after the first ~20 words have been typed, run
   CLD again and switch the language if appropriate (only do this once to avoid
   flicker).

The user would never have to worry about setting their spell-checking
language: we would always correct the input in the language that was typed.
This will also prevent everything from getting underlined when typing in a
foreign language (which is a common annoyance for multi-lingual users).
Gmail does this for their spell-checking, and it works very well.

If this feature works well, we can reconsider more complex features such as
multi-lingual spell-check down the line.

-Nick