As I was writing this and testing steps to replicate, I found that the
HTML formatting did not always happen.

I found the answer using the Windows ClipBook Viewer (it is only
available on XP as clipbrd.exe, but works on Vista).
When placing contents in the clipbook, the application that saves the
information makes various versions of that information available.
Copy something, then click the view menu to see all the available
formats.

E.g. when copying from text from a Word doc you will see Text, Unicode
Text, Enhanced Metafile, Picture, Locale, OEM Text, DataObject, etc.
E.g. when you copy the URL in IE, you will see Unicode Text, Locale,
Text, and OEM Text.
E.g. when you right click copy shortcut in IE, you will see Unicode
Text, Locale, Text, and OEM Text, DataObject, FileContents,
FileGropupDescriptorW, etc.
E.g. when you copy the URL in FireFox, you will see Unicode Text,
Text, Locale, OEM Text, DataObject, Ole Private Data.
E.g. when you right click copy link location in FireFox, you will see
Unicode Text, Text, Locale, OEM Text, DataObject, Ole Private Data.
E.g. when you copy the URL in Chrome, you will see Unicode Text,
Locale, Text, Locale, OEM Text, UniformResourceLocatorW, HTML Format.
E.g. when you right click copy link address in Chrome, you will see
Unicode Text, Locale, Text, OEM Text.

When you paste in Outlook or Word, it defaults to HTML when available.
If I create a new Outlook email or a new Word doc, and I paste the
Chrome URL, it pastes fine because, I assume, there are no other HTML
tags.
If I am writing an email with formatting, or replying to an email, and
I then paste the contents, the URL has a Times New Roman font instead
of the font in the doc.

To summarize, in Chrome copying the URL from the UI is not the same as
right click copy link.
Right click copy link works fine because it does not contain HTML
formatted text.
Copy from URL does contain HTML formatted text, and results in
documents with weird formatting.

If the UI URL copy can work the same as the right click copy link
address, the problem can be solved.

P.