I just happen to be looking at clipboard code for page contents.
Here's the code for writing a URL:

void WebClipboardImpl::writeURL(const WebURL& url, const WebString& title) {
  ScopedClipboardWriterGlue scw(ClipboardGetClipboard());

  scw.WriteBookmark(title, url.spec());
  scw.WriteHTML(UTF8ToUTF16(URLToMarkup(url, title)), "");
  scw.WriteText(UTF8ToUTF16(url.spec()));
}

Notice how we write it as HTML here.

I'm not sure under what conditions we end up in that method though.
Selecting a link on a page and pressing control-c ends up here:

void WebClipboardImpl::writeHTML(
    const WebString& html_text, const WebURL& source_url,
    const WebString& plain_text, bool write_smart_paste) {
  ScopedClipboardWriterGlue scw(ClipboardGetClipboard());
  scw.WriteHTML(html_text, source_url.spec());
  scw.WriteText(plain_text);

  if (write_smart_paste)
    scw.WriteWebSmartPaste();
}