On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Ojan Vafai<o...@chromium.org> wrote:
>> After following the instructions in that document trunk/src is git and
>> everything else (pulled in via DEPS, including webkit and also ICU,
>> skia, etc.) is via svn.
>
> I've been wondering about this. What would it take to modify our git
> checkout process to pull third_party/WebKit via git as well? Would it mostly
> work to just exclude third_party/WebKit via DEPS, create it via a git
> checkout and then write a script that wraps gclient sync to also git
> pull/rebase third_party/WebKit? Is there a better way?

I had an old version of gclient that did this.  The problem you run
into is that there are more possible tree states of git than in svn so
it's hard to map across.

Say DEPS says web...@revision A, and you have webkit at revision A~10.
gclient sync should probably fast-forward your checkout.

Say DEPS says web...@revision A, and then you've checked out trunk and
have local changes.  gclient sync should probably... do nothing?

But then how do we tell "DEPS checked them out at A~10 before, so we
should fast forward to A" from "they checked out A~10 because that was
trunk at the time, so we should fast forward to trunk"?

Etc.  It's basically some UI questions that I haven't had the time to
worry about yet.