On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Evan Martin <e...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Ojan Vafai<o...@chromium.org> wrote:
> >> After following the instructions in that document trunk/src is git and
> >> everything else (pulled in via DEPS, including webkit and also ICU,
> >> skia, etc.) is via svn.
> >
> > I've been wondering about this. What would it take to modify our git
> > checkout process to pull third_party/WebKit via git as well? Would it
> mostly
> > work to just exclude third_party/WebKit via DEPS, create it via a git
> > checkout and then write a script that wraps gclient sync to also git
> > pull/rebase third_party/WebKit? Is there a better way?
>
> I had an old version of gclient that did this.  The problem you run
> into is that there are more possible tree states of git than in svn so
> it's hard to map across.
>
> Say DEPS says web...@revision A, and you have webkit at revision A~10.
> gclient sync should probably fast-forward your checkout.
>
> Say DEPS says web...@revision A, and then you've checked out trunk and
> have local changes.  gclient sync should probably... do nothing?
>
> But then how do we tell "DEPS checked them out at A~10 before, so we
> should fast forward to A" from "they checked out A~10 because that was
> trunk at the time, so we should fast forward to trunk"?
>
> Etc.  It's basically some UI questions that I haven't had the time to
> worry about yet.

Currently, I just manage the webkit changes by hand rather than letting
gclient do it.

I have a git checkout of webkit symlinked (mounted in XP since symlinks
don't work right until vista) on top of third_party/WebKit.  You'll need to
add the following into the custom_deps of your .gclient:

      "src/third_party/WebKit/JavaScriptCore": None,
      "src/third_party/WebKit/WebCore": None,
      "src/third_party/WebKit/WebKitLibraries": None,
      "src/third_party/WebKit/LayoutTests": None,

Then after a gclient sync, to get a branch of webkit at the right revision +
all the build files regenerated, I do some variant of

    ajwong$ i=`head ~/src/git-chrome/src/DEPS | grep webkit_revision | cut
-d '"' -f4`; git checkout -b $i `git svn find-rev r$i`
    ajwong$ i gclient runhooks --force

Any of the merges/cherry-pick of current work off the webkit tree, I do by
hand.  It's been working pretty well for me.

-Albert