I've started working on a FreeBSD port. The first patch is here:
http://codereview.chromium.org/172032.
When looking at the patch, bear in mind a couple of things...

1. Added gyp lines for files like *_ar.pak are compensating for the fact
that i18n targets are not currently being handled correctly, and this can
break the build, particularly when -j is not used. There are TODOs to make
them work properly. They aren't really part of the port, but because I have
no build farm for FreeBSD, the problems show up.

2. There are now some directories that are called "linux" or "mac" but are
used for FreeBSD, too. I'm hesitant to rename these at this point, because
it may turn out later that actually FreeBSD-specific versions are needed.
Views welcome, of course.

Anyway, there's been some debate about how to proceed in terms of ifdefs.

The observation is that many places that are currently:

#if defined(OS_LINUX)

are going to become:

#if defined(OS_LINUX) || defined(OS_FREEBSD)

and this is ugly.

There's a temptation to instead say these are both POSIX, but not MACOSX,
for example as here:

http://codereview.chromium.org/172032/diff/3003/3013

but this may not always be true (to be honest, I'm not even sure if its true
for that case).

Does the list have a view on how this should be handled?