On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Avi Drissman<a...@google.com> wrote:
> I've heard people proclaim the principle of being able to copy a profile
> across systems as being a deciding factor for certain changes (e.g. the
> history epoch change). However, it doesn't seem to be universally held or
> obeyed, and I'm not sure to the extent to which it can be obeyed. So some
> questions:
>
> - Is "profile platform independence" a guiding principle?
> - To what extent do we work to make it reality?

I don't think this is a guiding principle. We should do it when it's
reasonable. I think most places it is reasonable to do so.

> - In the cases where it can't be kept (e.g. download folder path) should we
> keep a copy for each platform?

I don't think so.

> - Is it worth rewriting today's code that doesn't conform (e.g. extensions
> and themes which use full paths and platform path separators)?

I don't think so, although I do wonder if full paths are necessary,
even if we're not worried about platform portability (not knowing
anything about what these are used for if there are any).

Brett